Haunted House Game 5: Ghosts on a Zeppelin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 Josh

Josh

Evil bird

• Admin

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:01 PM

It was a day that you had been looking forward to for months. A trip on one of the new air dirigibles, or "Zeppelins", running from London to Manchester! These stately queens of the sky had taken your breath away when you first saw them gliding gently across the city's skyline, and now you would have a chance to ride in one - a mode of conveyance quicker than a horse, more refined than a locomotive. You had bought your ticket and clutched it with glee.

Little did you know, however, that not all was above board on the statuesque air steamer. Perhaps the name of the ship - the SS Poltergeist - should have tipped you off?

Please sign up below with a brief character bio.

*** PLAYERS ***

Windle Poons (Lu-Tze)
Jim Jones (Kramer)
Squirrel-Man (Masked)
Maxwell's Demon (Hentzau)

*** RULES ***
Substantial changes highlighted in red - comments welcome, please.
DAY PHASE

Each day, the Ghosts attempt to tighten their grip on the House. The opening post will outline the physical manifestation that this dominion takes, and the players must then each propose ways of combating this menace.

At the same time as solutions are being proposed (but obviously not before any have been put forward), players can vote for the solution they most want to see enacted. Solutions should be somehow linked to the nature of the disturbance. Further, solutions put forward by each ghost throughout the game will have a common theme (selected by the GM, obviously with a great deal of care so it's not ridiculously simple and allows the ghosts some creativity). Although role-play is encouraged, the part of a post that is considered to be the proposed solution must be clearly signposted by a title and should encompass no more than approx. 150 words, and no less than approx. 75 words.

An individual human may elect to use their slot to propose a solution dedicated to exorcising one of their cohort. The exorcism is then resolved over the course of the day, with players voting either for or against it. An exorcism vote occurs concurrently to the normal system of voting upon normal proposals and does not affect the outcomes of that vote. Only one exorcism may be current at a time.

If the exorcism is successful then up to 4 of the exorcisee’s Victory Points will be transferred to the exorcist. If the exorcism is voted down then it has no effect. Exorcisms may be proposed by either a human or a ghost, but a ghost may not exorcise and ectoplasm in the same turn, and an exorcism initiated by a ghost will not transfer the exorcisee’s points as described above.

If the exorcism was successful, and was performed:
by a human on a human - the exorcist has 3 points deducted at the end of the game.
by a human on a ghost - the exorcism costs nothing.
by a ghost on a human or a ghost - the exorcism costs 1 point.

The Ghosts may elect, en masse, not to propose a solution in order to Ectoplasm (turn) a human player, provided that they sufficient Turning Points to do so. Turning Points are gained by posting proposals – every human vote that a Ghost’s proposal attracts gains the ghost team one Turning Point. That human player will have their Victory Points reset to zero and will become a ghost at the end of the night phase / beginning of the next day phase. The newly turned ghost WILL NOT be told who the other ghosts are. They will be told the theme that they have to adhere to. Thereafter, it is up to the existing ghosts if they want to get in contact.

Thresholds: 5, 11, 18, 26, 35, 45 and so on in that pattern.

SUCCESS AND FAILURE

The solution with the most votes at the end of the day wins.

IF A SOLUTION PUT FORWARD BY A GHOST IS SELECTED: the ghosts gain 2 Victory Points.
IF A SOLUTION PUT FORWARD BY A HUMAN IS SELECTED: the humans gain 2 Victory Points.

The points are allocated to the individual player who put forward the solution, and thus to the team to whom they belong, by proxy. (In other words: if a player switches sides, they take their points with them.)

A chosen solution, however, is not automatically “successful”. The success of a solution is determined by the number of votes that it attracts, modified by a “plausibility value” assigned by the GM, which may be between 3 and -3. [This section purposefully left vague] Success or failure does not affect the allocation of points, but it does affect the terrain of the following day.

TERRAIN

Based on the success or failure of the winning proposition from of the previous day, a day’s terrain can be either benign or hostile. On a benign terrain, humans gain double points from winning proposals, while ghosts cannot generate Turning Points. On a hostile terrain, humans do not gain Victory Points from a successful exorcism (although the exorcisee still loses theirs), while ghosts’ votes on proposals count as double.

SPELLS

Each day, a spell will be available for casting. The effects of a spell and a clue as to the method of casting will be in the day’s first post. The first player to fulfil the criteria for casting the spell will do so. Effects will be benign or hostile to the humans depending on the terrain.

ON THE SUBJECT OF GHOSTS

A sub-forum will be set up which will only be visible to a single class account, called GHOST ACCOUNTS. The ghosts may use these accounts to communicate with each other anonymously. One a ghost is turned back into a human, their ghost account will be taken from them and reset.

ENDGAME

At some point, it will be announced that a epochal spirit-link temporal redistributor object has switched on. This heralds the end of the game, allowing whichever side has the greatest degree of control over the house to oust the other and claim victory.

From the point forward, any player may suggest using the radio as a solution to the daily manifestation. In order to win the day, the radio must receive a quorum of votes (i.e. more than 50% of the votes cast). If it wins, the day immediately ends. The radio has a failsafe device; no more than 2 ghosts may vote to use the radio at a time. If any more than 2 do so, then the radio will shut itself down for the day. If, at any point, the ghosts outnumber the humans, they can overrun the human remainder and declare victory at any time.

At this point, the scores will be tallied, and whichever team has the highest score will win. The ghosts start with a 2-point advantage.

George Alagiaaaaaaargh: I lost my pecker in the siege :(

#2 Josh

Josh

Evil bird

• Admin

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:03 PM

It is hoped that this ruleset will fix some of the problems in the last couple - arbitrary turning-and-returning mechanics, the lack of focus to the quality of the proposals, the lack of day-time activities to be undertaken, and Kramer's verbocity ( :P ).

#3 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

Ultimate Lu-Tze

• Admin

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:32 PM

IN
"It's amazing how deep we had to drill to find our key difference,
but it seems that whilst I am Amazing you are Ultimate."- Lu

#4 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:56 PM

Uh, in I suppose. Not sure how much time I'll be able to commit to it though.

#5 Lu-Tze

Lu-Tze

Amazing Dave

• Members

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:25 PM

IN

(finally Twitter does something useful!)
Il Porcupino Nil Sodomy Est

#6 Josh

Josh

Evil bird

• Admin

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:27 PM

:D

Don't forget, y'all'll need characters!

#7 Lu-Tze

Lu-Tze

Amazing Dave

• Members

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:39 PM

Posted Image

Grizzled old half-deaf man in a bathchair with mirrors and horns aplenty. Wheeled around by his beautiful 20 year old nursemaid.

#8 Josh

Josh

Evil bird

• Admin

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:54 PM

The image seems to be called Windle Poons so I'm taking that as your name. Marvellous!

#9 Lu-Tze

Lu-Tze

Amazing Dave

• Members

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:16 PM

View PostJosh, on Feb 9 2010, 02:54 PM, said:

The image seems to be called Windle Poons so I'm taking that as your name. Marvellous!
I am happy that this is my name. For reference, the nursemaid is called "Tracie" and spends most of her time chewing gum and filing her fake nails. She is disinterested in all affairs that occur around her.

#10 Kramer

Kramer

Chalk

• Members

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:26 PM

Jim Jones is an American professional wrestler from Madison, Wisconsin. He looks a bit like this. Wrestling is a burgeoning attraction in the late 19th century, confined mainly to carnival sideshows, traveling circuses and music hall venues. Jones made his reputation as a solid mat technician across Georgia and the Mid-South region of the United States, often battling the masked luchadors of Mexico as a crowd favorite. As he became more famous, Jones made his way to the more glamorous Tri-State region where he faced more outlandish or flamboyant stars, including "The Giant" Ralph Haykramer and "Gentleman" Jerry Valiant. Jones proved much less popular in the North East with crowds often booing him for his perceived plainness. Already feeling dejected, Jones had thoughts of quitting pro wrestling altogether after a spectator had shouted at him to "go and get a real job and maybe a proper pair of pants while you're at it" causing the entire crowd to laugh at him. After hearing rumours that the wrestling scene was about to pick up in Great Britain, Jones, down on his luck, decided to pack his bags and jump on the next ship to the "Old Country".

Jones prides himself as being a true all-American athlete. He abhors cheating; in his matches, he will often complain about his opponents using closed fists and will expect a disqualification victory if ever he is thrown over the top rope. His interests include jogging and drinking milk and his motto is "I'm going to beat you, 1, 2, 3!"

After taking part in the adventure of Haunted House 3, Jim feels all set to take to the skies. In his most recent interview in ProWrestling Weekly magazine he was quoted as saying: "What that there vootin' varmit' Zepperlin? I gots ta see this wit' ma own two eye sure yes I does. But you remember y'all: I ain't no heel!"

#11 Josh

Josh

Evil bird

• Admin

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:30 PM

:glee:

#12 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

Ultimate Lu-Tze

• Admin

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:42 PM

Yay for word limit! ;)

Squirrel-Man is considered one of the world's greatest superheroes. Mainly by himself. He was invited (stowed away) on the first flight of this mighty Zepplin for it's security.

He is quite insane.
"It's amazing how deep we had to drill to find our key difference,
but it seems that whilst I am Amazing you are Ultimate."- Lu

#13 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:59 PM

Maxwell's Demon

Opening the little door to let faster molecules through had started to pall for Maxwell's Demon; it's a lot of effort just to raise a few doubts about the Second Law of Thermodynamics when the entropy of the system is going to go up anyway because of his hard work. Still, it was a job with security and a steady wage, and Maxwell's Demon was busily building a life for himself with Mrs Demon - a little house in the Third Circle, a pet Hellhound, they were even planning on starting a family - when he was abruptly made redundant after his job was automated; some bastard scientist had invented a little piece of nanotechnology that did it just as well with solar power. Finding a new job in the current infernal climate was practically impossible what with the collapsing Lost Soul market (hardly anyone believes in Hell any more, so there's far less demand for the cutting-edge eternal torment services its highly-trained workforce provides) and thus Maxwell's Demon has been forced to seek employment on the material plane. There was an opening for a ghost-hunter. Maxwell's Demon was impeccably qualified through dint of his extensive occult experience. He took it, despite the daily commute.

#14 Inflammable Jim

Inflammable Jim

Overlooked by the Academy

• Admin

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:34 PM

Can we also have a minimum word count? 100 or so.
You know...we lost the first battle of the Chesapeake because of a mysterious...treacherous...Ankylosaurus

#15 Josh

Josh

Evil bird

• Admin

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:45 PM

Good thinking. So written!

I've made it 75, though, as I'm hoping that the plausibility modifier will encourage creativity.

#16 Lu-Tze

Lu-Tze

Amazing Dave

• Members

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:57 PM

INVERT THE FLUX CAPACITANCE POLARITY OF THE PLAUSIBILITY MODIFIER.

#17 Josh

Josh

Evil bird

• Admin

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:13 AM

More players!

#18 Josh

Josh

Evil bird

• Admin

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:47 AM

So yeah, this pretty much isn't going to happen. Sorry.

#19 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:56 AM

Man I put a lot of effort into Maxwell's Demon as well. All of twenty minutes' worth.

#20 Lu-Tze

Lu-Tze

Amazing Dave

• Members

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:52 PM

It was 20 minutes well spent, I enjoyed it.

#21 Carlisle Dave

Carlisle Dave

Doctor at Law

• Admin

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:46 PM

Sorry, I would play but doing A&E makes being involved in things like this tricky.