Drabble it!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 Broo

Broo

Feels dot-inferior. Maybe it's a complex.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2005 - 12:59 PM

Hey kids. In an attempt to catch the quite late bandwagon of contributing to the literary side of The Tales, I figured a nice thing to do would be to host a drabble thread.

(If you already know what a drabble is, skip the next bit)

The principle is simple. You write (Precisley) a 100 word short story, excluding title and author credit. That's it. No other rule applies, apart from the fact you can't write a 55 word title in order to further your point. That would be cheating.

When I'm left on trains, I come up with drabbles, and one I decided to actually write down was this Doctor Who inspired one (Yes I'm sad) a few days ago. It's also in posession of a nice obscure twist, which If people do not get, I'll explain below.

So here it is, a drabble.

Salford Lads’ Club
        Dan Cooper

The TARDIS landed, like an elephant dropped from a plane, onto the high street.

Petulantly, Rose stormed out. "Why?"

The sound travelled; "I'm not taking in any more of your boyfriends - too much effort. What did I say? I don't do families and I’m not 'ere as your intergalactic boyfriend hopper".

"Oh come on Doctor! I’m not alien like you are!”

Silence.

“I am Human and I need to be loved!, Just like everybody else does..."

A youth with an enormous greased up quiff, resting in the doorway, turned to his friend; “Ey, Jonny, that gives me an idea…”

NB:
If you've not seen the video to the Smiths "There is a Light that never goes out" this will make no sense to you whatsoever.

I hereby now encourage you to do the same.
TSP: I saw a giant poster for Lost today. The castaways all seemed extremely dismayed that their prom had been gatecrashed by a burning airliner.

[ Blog ][ Photos ]

#2 Guest_garretsdthief4me_*

Guest_garretsdthief4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2005 - 01:48 PM

The Master Thief

He breathed. Heavily. It was befitting of his size. Round, puffy, and petulant when his sub-ordinates defied him. He could be merciless. He'd starved men to death in the Gibbet for insolence. The captain of the guard this night stood watch o'er his charge - the vault.

Out of the shadows a gloved hand reached, knobbled with age, thick with raised veins.

The sliver of a dagger unsheathed. The rasp as it gleams the cusps of it's metal prison.

The dreaded sound; exposition of the wound. A futile gasp. Some blood. It trickles in parts, it pumps at others. It depends on where you slice.

Garrett returns. Forced out of retirement to earn a crust.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Not strictly a drabble. It's just over a hundred words. Best I could do though!

#3 Inflammable Jim

Inflammable Jim

Overlooked by the Academy

• Admin

Posted 22 May 2005 - 02:28 PM

Bored

We've been in the trenches some fifteen months. The unrelenting torrent of war has spared me so far. I don't know whether to be grateful, at least the dead have peace.
Peace, now there's a beautiful thing. Lovely, boring peace. They said the war'd be over by Christmas. They said we'd return as conquering heroes, not a laughing stock. The offensives fell upon a wall of steel, and now we wait on our own nation's soil, ready to make the ultimate sacrifice, ready to die...
"Jim! Your tea's ready! You can play army tomorrow!"
"Coming, mum!"
You know...we lost the first battle of the Chesapeake because of a mysterious...treacherous...Ankylosaurus

#4 Broo

Broo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2005 - 02:46 PM

Both of those are awesome. Thought I'd throw another in, because I'm avoiding revision...

End of the Meet
Dan Cooper

Josh and Dave - in a pub. Both pondered trains. One Aberdeenward, one to his swanky Oxford Street pad.

Both were pissed.

Josh, irregardless of his Boltonseque locks, told Dave he was envious of his dark curly afro as he prodded it.

Dave returned the sentiment, tugging at Josh’s blonde locks; “Then let’s both get No. 2’s together!”

Josh led the way to the bathrooms, Dave waited for his turn, guarding the bags. When Josh returned with an almost baldy head, Dave sniggered, and bolted for the door.

On the train, he thought to himself. “I am such a bastard…
TSP: I saw a giant poster for Lost today. The castaways all seemed extremely dismayed that their prom had been gatecrashed by a burning airliner.

[ Blog ][ Photos ]

#5 Guest_garretsdthief4me_*

Guest_garretsdthief4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2005 - 03:31 PM

Lady Rutherford

A web of treachery woven with each grind of pestle. Dash of hemlock, sprinkling of arsenic, tincture of atropine. Mistress of poisoned cupboard and chalices black is she.
Injustice is sweet - to the executioner.

Enough of that now though; her inner clockwork assures.

Edgar, as strong as the urge to see him choke, is the desire not to see him croak - for money is in this match.

His clammy hands shall be endured at dinner tonight.

But who is to say - upon upstaging of Apollo on wedding day -

He shall not succumb to an appalling blight?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Again, Thief themed and also over the word limit a bit. No matter though.

#6 Broo

Broo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2005 - 03:38 PM

garretsdthief4me, on May 22 2005, 03:31 PM, said:

Lady Rutherford

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I didn't bring you up on it before, but you can't really consistently write drabbles of other than 100 words. It sorta defeats the point in the same way you can't cheat when you play DPAYIFW.

Cool story again though.

[ Blog ][ Photos ]

#7 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

Ultimate Lu-Tze

• Admin

Posted 22 May 2005 - 03:40 PM

Broo, on May 22 2005, 03:46 PM, said:

Both of those are awesome. Thought I'd throw another in, because I'm avoiding revision...

End of the Meet
Dan Cooper

Arf! :lol:
"It's amazing how deep we had to drill to find our key difference,
but it seems that whilst I am Amazing you are Ultimate."- Lu

#8 Shadow_Wolf

Shadow_Wolf

Aspect of the Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2005 - 03:51 PM

Damascus, Syria

A bullet pinged with malice on the concrete at his feet. Ducking and diving for cover as his training took over. Old plaster bursting where his body was not two seconds earlier.

He brought his rifle to bear. The air was muggy and thick. His breathing slowed: a dreamlike euphoria. Twice his rifle spat. And yet there was silence. Two men fell like leaves on an autumn morning.

The sun shone. The wind drew sand around his ankles. People were screaming but no sound came forth. He put a hand to his chest. Blood issued forth from between his ribs.
IPB Image King of Russia
IPB Image

#9 Guest_garretsdthief4me_*

Guest_garretsdthief4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2005 - 03:52 PM

Broo, on May 22 2005, 04:38 PM, said:

garretsdthief4me, on May 22 2005, 03:31 PM, said:

Lady Rutherford

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I didn't bring you up on it before, but you can't really consistently write drabbles of other than 100 words. It sorta defeats the point in the same way you can't cheat when you play DPAYIFW.

Cool story again though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not to worry, I can likely shorten it - I'm that distracted from revision myself ;)

#10 Broo

Broo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2005 - 03:55 PM

Drabbling is the antidote to revision. I've got another one done, but I'll save it for tomorrow or something. Mostly because I NEED TO LEARN THIS (but I'm here with a headache :( )

Also - I'm glad you liked the "End of the Meet" story. Thought it'd be quite... resonant, just waiting for it's stars themselves to comment on them. (Or Ban me from the forum, one of the two....)

[ Blog ][ Photos ]

#11 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

Ultimate Lu-Tze

• Admin

Posted 22 May 2005 - 05:56 PM

Link's Betrayal
by David Glover

"Just take it," said Link.

"I...pardon?" stumbled Ganondorf, interrupted mid-monologue.

"The Tri-Force, it’s yours."

"Oh. Really? Huh. I was sort of looking forward to killing you and all but, thanks."

"Link! What’re you doing!" screeched Zelda.

"I’m fed up! How many reincarnated forms have we all gone through just to have the same damn battle? Maybe if he wins it’ll all stop."

"You know Link," mused Ganondorf, "you could join me. We’d rule the world together. And I bet you’d look rather fetching in black."

"But you were the chosen one!"

"Oh shove it Zelda, you whiny little bitch."

A bit lame, but you can see where I was going. A hundred words really isn't much at all.

#12 Strudel the Dancing Pastry

Strudel the Dancing Pastry

There's no I in TEAM

• Members

Posted 22 May 2005 - 06:03 PM

I liked it.  :)
Spins and turns, angles and curves. The shape of dreams, half remembered. Slip the surly bonds of earth and touch the face of perfection - a perfect face, perfect lace.
Jentastic: THAT'S RIGHT, I like double entry
<@Strudel> How big's your dongle Kramer?
only about 2 inches :(

#13 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

Ultimate Lu-Tze

• Admin

Posted 22 May 2005 - 06:07 PM

#14 Shadow_Wolf

Shadow_Wolf

Aspect of the Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2005 - 06:15 PM

:D

Thats great.
IPB Image King of Russia
IPB Image

#15 Guest_garretsdthief4me_*

Guest_garretsdthief4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2005 - 07:21 PM

Surely that should read "Link's Defection", as it was Link performing the act of betrayal? Anyway, it's all good :)

#16 Strudel the Dancing Pastry

There's no I in TEAM

• Members

Posted 22 May 2005 - 07:52 PM

An ill wind.
By Strudel the Dancing Pastry

They huddled together in the chill breeze with nought to protect them but their skin. The easterly wind was howling past them, driving rain, like bullets, into those unfortunate enough to be in its path. They would not last the night, but their sacrifice would ensure the survival of others.

As the night rolled on, the weather worsened, until the stabbing rain became crushing hail, and the tearing wind turned to the south, circling round the group to inflict greater casualties. It would not relent, but they would not concede, Borolo would survive, Barolo would replenish, Barolo would become stronger.
Spins and turns, angles and curves. The shape of dreams, half remembered. Slip the surly bonds of earth and touch the face of perfection - a perfect face, perfect lace.

#17 Strudel the Dancing Pastry

There's no I in TEAM

• Members

Posted 22 May 2005 - 09:49 PM

Be prepared.
By a Dancing Pastry

“What do you mean we’ve run out!?!”

“Well, it means we haven’t got any left you see...”

“How could this have happened?!”

“Well, we didn’t order enough in see and…”

“And now, of all the times…Do you see that man sat over there?”

“Where?”

“Right there. At the centre table with four voluptuous waitresses at his beck and call.”

“The one who seems to be polishing stars?”

“Yes. Mr Edouard Michelin. In the flesh!”

“No he’s not.”

“What?”

“He’s in a suit. He wouldn’t be allowed in here if he wasn’t.”

"ARRRRR!!! HOW CAN YOU HAVE RUN OUT OF  POTATOES!?!"

#18 Broo

Broo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2005 - 09:09 AM

The other one I wrote yesterday, avoiding revision for the exam I'm doomed (Doomed, doomed!) to attend in a few short hours.

Writers Block
Dan Cooper

Tori looked out of the window. She was depressed. The dull, grey, damp rain on the Cotswolds reflected her mood.  

Her last album hadn’t really enchanted the public. Neil Gaiman was too busy being a Hollywood player.

She drank until she couldn’t feel feelings. Then humped her piano once more.

Silence.

It’d not happened for so long, the feeling was as if she, virginial, was touched for the very first time.

And as she ploughed ahead, questing for release, inspiration flooded into her.

Eyes wide, her face contorted into that of joy.

Slowly, almost imperceptibly, the grass began to sway.

---------------------

People are going to start thinking I'm some sort of weirdo if all my fictional stories either revolve around C-Dave's hair, the Smiths or Tori Amos having sex with a piano. This is why my next drabble will contain all three.

[ Blog ][ Photos ]

#19 Hey Kidz

Hey Kidz

TONY B. LIARS

• Members

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:22 AM

I'm feeling anal. Shouldn't this be in the games folder? ¬_¬

#20 Broo

Broo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:27 AM

No, it's not a game. It's a literary challenge in the same way "Ramble On" is, but with tighter rules. If it goes in the games thread, it'll get ignored and unloved, and people won't contiue to contribute. It's a literary thread for the literary section.

[ Blog ][ Photos ]

#21 Strudel the Dancing Pastry

There's no I in TEAM

• Members

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:30 AM

And it's helping to keep me from revising for an insanely difficult exam I've got tomorrow.  :cry:

#22 King Dumpalot

King Dumpalot

Now with a slimmer sig

• Members

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:38 AM

She drank until she couldn’t feel feelings.
No offence dude, but that sentance wouldn't look out of place in a Lucas script
"Never argue with idiots... First they will drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."
Blog - Website

#23 Broo

Broo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2005 - 11:01 AM

None taken, it's intentional ;)

[ Blog ][ Photos ]

#24 Broo

Broo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2005 - 11:08 AM

As promised;
An exciting adventure involving C-Dave’s Hair, Tori Amos, the Smiths and Piano Sex.
Dan Cooper

Tori humped away, violently, at the piano whilst wearing her victims scalp. The mop of curly, bakerish hair vibrated in the night.

Her next victim, caged within the body of the Steinway, moaned and prayed for help.

The window smashed to pieces with a clatter. Dave rolled over and, forehead absent, looked up at the mysterious man.

One punch and the Texan was out. He grabbed the hairpiece, and superglued it to the aspiring MD. He pulled open the piano.

“You came back for me?” said Morrissey.

“I’d never leave a man behind, even you, you ponce” said Johnny Marr.

------
Now off to my exam. Joy of joys.

[ Blog ][ Photos ]

#25 Shadow_Wolf

Shadow_Wolf

Aspect of the Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2005 - 11:30 AM

Does it matter that I had absolutely no idea what was going on?
IPB Image King of Russia
IPB Image