What kind of day has it been

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 Strudel the Dancing Pastry

Strudel the Dancing Pastry

There's no I in TEAM

• Members

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:56 PM

I couldn't see a good "Stuff from my day/work" thread. so here's a new, (soon to be dormant) thread!

I've spent the last couple of weeks, on and off, marking first year undergrad exams and assignments. Whilst some of them are shockingly bad I'm surprised at how much I'm actually enjoying it. Thankfully none of the marking I'm doing is of long essays - I've done a stats exam, which was pretty simple; a stats and modelling assignment; and a crime mapping assignment - so it's all quite technical stuff where delineating between good and bad is perhaps easier done than if they were 3000 word theory-based essays, but I'm finding it really interesting to see how different students approach the same thing and I'm getting such a clear idea of what they've understood and misunderstood throughout the modules, and which bits will need tweaking for next year.

Plus, I've managed to catch out a couple of cheats that were pretty clever about what they were doing and I feel all Sherlock Holmes now.
Spins and turns, angles and curves. The shape of dreams, half remembered. Slip the surly bonds of earth and touch the face of perfection - a perfect face, perfect lace.
Jentastic: THAT'S RIGHT, I like double entry
<@Strudel> How big's your dongle Kramer?
only about 2 inches :(

#2 Fat Zombie

Fat Zombie

Bony Spectre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:22 PM

Wait, are you a professor now or something?

#3 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:23 PM

The cheats in my day were very unimaginative; they always copy and pasted articles from established science authors/journalists somehow not realising that no sciences undergraduate would have the skills to write like that. They also didn't appear to grasp how google worked, as a brief search for any suspiciously well-written phrases always turned up the source. Then it was just a matter of printing it out and popping it in their workbook along with a very satisfying 0/10.

#4 Strudel the Dancing Pastry

There's no I in TEAM

• Members

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:37 PM

Fat Zombie, on 26 April 2017 - 06:22 PM, said:

Wait, are you a professor now or something?

No, just doing some teaching assistant work on a module and second marking a couple too.
Spins and turns, angles and curves. The shape of dreams, half remembered. Slip the surly bonds of earth and touch the face of perfection - a perfect face, perfect lace.

#5 Strudel the Dancing Pastry

There's no I in TEAM

• Members

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:39 PM

Hent - one of the issues we have with the stats module is that they're doing it all in python so I'm not sure TurnItIn would ever figure out whether they've cheated or not. In this case, we've worked out that they've paid for someone else to do the work for them. Someone based out of a data science company in India. That's dedication to cheating!

#6 Jen

Jen

Miles Edgeworth: 2 Kool 4 Skool

• Members

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:16 PM

If fanfiction has taught me anything it's that a TA always ends up in some kind of steamy quasi forbidden affair with a student - have you had any UST laden moments with a student yet?
---------------------------------------------------------
I lost some time once...it's always in the last place you look for it. Violent Becoming Downtown, Olympus Town

#7 Strudel the Dancing Pastry

There's no I in TEAM

• Members

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:01 PM

Not yet, but it's only the first year of our undergrad programme and there are only 18 students; next year we're expecting about 50 new students! THINK OF THE POTENTIAL.

#8 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

Ultimate Lu-Tze

• Admin

Posted 27 April 2017 - 02:10 PM

:naughty:
"It's amazing how deep we had to drill to find our key difference,
but it seems that whilst I am Amazing you are Ultimate."- Lu

#9 Strudel the Dancing Pastry

There's no I in TEAM

• Members

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:44 AM

I got a tour around New New Scotland Yard this morning. It's like they finally arrived in the 21st Century.

#10 Fat Zombie

Fat Zombie

Bony Spectre

• Members

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:15 PM

Today at work has been

Posted Image

#11 Strudel the Dancing Pastry

There's no I in TEAM

• Members

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:53 AM

You really need to get off your arse and find a new job FZed.

#12 Fat Zombie

Fat Zombie

Bony Spectre

• Members

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:42 PM

Strudel the Dancing Pastry, on 11 May 2017 - 06:53 AM, said:

You really need to get off your arse and find a new job FZed.
I know. But it takes effort, and if I could put that effort in unprompted then I probably wouldn't be in the position I am now.

In fact, yesterday was more stressful than usual because I was put more or less in charge of my team (team leader not in) and having to deal with multiple coworker's queries combined with multiple complaining customers was a big stress. I don't like being put into positions where I have to make decisions, I prefer to follow orders.

#13 Carlisle Dave

Carlisle Dave

Doctor at Law

• Admin

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:20 PM

The less said about Friday afternoon the better, though we weren't infected with the malware ourselves. (predictive text changes malware to mallard which is much better)

#14 Jen

Jen

Miles Edgeworth: 2 Kool 4 Skool

• Members

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:31 PM

I have spent most of the last 24 hours obsessed with this petrified dinosaur.
---------------------------------------------------------
I lost some time once...it's always in the last place you look for it. Violent Becoming Downtown, Olympus Town

#15 Elihu

Elihu

Boat press liaison

• Admin

Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:07 AM

Carlisle Dave, on 13 May 2017 - 07:20 PM, said:

The less said about Friday afternoon the better, though we weren't infected with the malware ourselves. (predictive text changes malware to mallard which is much better)

A friend of mine got off shift on the ward just as it struck - said they had to turn people away. I can't fathom the kind of people that would do this.

#16 Janek

Janek

That's "Captain" to you

• Members

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:46 AM

Elihu, on 14 May 2017 - 06:07 AM, said:

A friend of mine got off shift on the ward just as it struck - said they had to turn people away. I can't fathom the kind of people that would do this.
It's not as if it was deliberately targeted at the NHS, I think it's very clearly designed to target home users. It's just that as an organisation we're incredibly vulnerable, due to the sad state of our investment in IT, the amount of legacy applications and hardware we need to support, etc.

Still arseholes of course.
Ah! Harvard University! The special jail where people with too much math are imprisoned forever and forced to teach each other about poems.

Sandwiches are better than people. You can put anything you want in a sandwich, and it won't complain.

You spin me right round, baby, right round, in a manner depriving me of an inertial reference frame. Baby.

#17 Strudel the Dancing Pastry

There's no I in TEAM

• Members

Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:47 PM

I was visiting a friend in Paris for the weekend and he works as a systems administrator for some French nuclear power companies or something. Guess how much time I got to see him over the weekend.¬_¬

#18 Strudel the Dancing Pastry

There's no I in TEAM

• Members

Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:48 PM

(P.S. Paris was pretty shit all round, and not just because of that.)

#19 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

Ultimate Lu-Tze

• Admin

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:38 PM

Just spent a good half hour watching my PC install this Windows 10 service pack, reboot several times, finally appear to have finished, reboot, blue screen of death, reboot, uninstalls the service pack (I was impressed they'd thought that through by the way, was really not looking forward to having to try and recover it myself) and then lets me log in again, tells me that they were "unable to install the update" and then immediately start trying to download it again.

What the fuck was that?
"It's amazing how deep we had to drill to find our key difference,
but it seems that whilst I am Amazing you are Ultimate."- Lu

#20 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:52 PM

Windows 10.

#21 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:06 PM

So we run two database clusters and sync data between them so that if we lose data on one we have a backup on the other. Problem is this process isn't automatic, and has to be manually written into the script by the owner of whatever data pipeline is building a table. The reason I have this job is because I actually think about this shit, whereas our analysts tend to just build things willy-nilly without considering the broader architecture.

This is why a couple of weeks ago somebody dropped a table by accident, there was no backup and no way to reconstruct it from first principles, and the phrase "irretrievable data loss" got thrown around. Because of the way the job is written it's written data randomly to one cluster or the other ever since, and so I spent a wonderful afternoon painstakingly shuttling data between clusters to build two complete tables while trying to avoid accidentally dropping or deleting this non-backed up data - which is a lot easier than it sounds, and which for some reason didn't worry anybody prior to this supposedly super critical data being lost. It's a great way to age a full year in a single day.

#22 Feet

Feet

Hugo! Isaac! yay!

• Members

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:15 PM

I sacked someone for the first time today. Sucked. Right decision and I managed to remain professional at the time, but feel pretty crappy now. Nice guy, out of his depth.

Ho hum.
I still love you

#23 Strudel the Dancing Pastry

There's no I in TEAM

• Members

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:34 PM

Sad times indeed :(

I gave a presentation to some South Korean police officers. They are super enthusiastic and happy about everything.

#24 Strudel the Dancing Pastry

There's no I in TEAM

• Members

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:57 PM

After 18 months of trying to agree contracts, I finally have data for my PhD.

Not everything I wanted, because it seems that 9 months ago they deleted half of it. But I can live with what I've got.

#25 Strudel the Dancing Pastry

There's no I in TEAM

• Members

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:06 AM

"boot device Inaccessible". Great way to start a Monday :(