1482 replies to this topic

#1 King Dumpalot

King Dumpalot

Now with a slimmer sig

• Members

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:31 PM

C_C.JPG

It's awesome.

What naughty treats that you shouldn't have bought yourself but did anyway have you indulged yourself with recently?
"Never argue with idiots... First they will drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."
Blog - Website

#2 Innokenti

Innokenti

I am an awesome horse.

• Admin

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:36 PM

How much?
Proud of Russia because we have cheaper Paracetamol
"" Jen (and KD) on my photoshop skills.
Look no further for Kentoshop™, KentiHugs™ and Abwebsobmeb!
"I don't know who he is either but whoever it is he looks craaaazy..." - Optimist about me. 

#3 King Dumpalot

King Dumpalot

Now with a slimmer sig

• Members

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:41 PM

twenty five of my fine british pounds from amazon.co.uk

I'm quite amazed with the package to be honest, they managed to cram all those games, and their expansions on a single DVD. It's not without it's issues, but to be honest they're pretty minor, and should be fixed sharpish according to EA. The newer ones (TS onwards) are flawless.
"Never argue with idiots... First they will drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."
Blog - Website

#4 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:50 PM

It's not without it's issues, but to be honest they're pretty minor,
I hear the Soviet FMV doesn't play in Red Alert.  That's not pretty minor, that's the best part of the sodding game, with dancing Stalin and whatnot.

#5 Scuzz

Scuzz

Least Geeky Talesian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:55 PM

King Dumpalot, on Mar 7 2006, 05:41 PM, said:

pretty minor, and should be fixed sharpish according to EA

View Post

:lol:
"I've been disappointed with the boobs so far this season." - Masked Dave

#6 Innokenti

Innokenti

I am an awesome horse.

• Admin

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:56 PM

Oh noes! No Stalin!? They really do better fix that sharpish.

At 25 quid that is a steal. REAL steal. Man I'm jealous, cos I can't spare 25 quid alas.

Also... pretty sure nobody cares Renegade's on there :D
"I don't know who he is either but whoever it is he looks craaaazy..." - Optimist about me. 

#7 King Dumpalot

King Dumpalot

Now with a slimmer sig

• Members

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:13 PM

I'm actually rather enjoying renegade.  It's a pretty shit FPS, but it has ideas by the bucketload. Ideas that should be made into a battlefield 2 mod *winks and nudges EVERYONE, just in case*

The soviet videos are pretty minor when you consider how much of the game works flawlessly. It's certainly not a game breaking bug, and there's more than enough playtime to last until the patch comes out. The other thing to consider is that It isn't game breaking- you still get your mission briefing in text form.

I would aslo argue, having seen it again, that the Intro to Red Alert is the best (and most exciting) intro in any game, ever!

"Time will tell. Sooner or later, Time will tell..."

*launches into the awesomeness that is hell march*
Blog - Website

#8 Janek

Janek

That's "Captain" to you

• Members

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:16 PM

Renegade's multiplayer was pretty good.

See also the CTI mod for Flashpoint.
Ah! Harvard University! The special jail where people with too much math are imprisoned forever and forced to teach each other about poems.

Sandwiches are better than people. You can put anything you want in a sandwich, and it won't complain.

You spin me right round, baby, right round, in a manner depriving me of an inertial reference frame. Baby.

#9 Innokenti

Innokenti

I am an awesome horse.

• Admin

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:51 PM

Ah... OpFap CTI... yes... mmm.

KD - of course it's not breaking, it's just, a bit annoying I guess. And you are very right on the intro. As well as the Hell March. Best game track ever!

#10 King Dumpalot

King Dumpalot

Now with a slimmer sig

• Members

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:00 PM

Aw, you soviet dawg, you just wish it had actually happened, and we'd all be speaking russian now! :P

besides, there's an easy workaround for the soviet movies, one I've just applied. tis awesome.
Blog - Website

#11 Josh

Josh

Evil bird

• Admin

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:24 PM

I've never actually played a C&C game, which is inexcusable, because despite my general non-gaminess I'm ostensiably a strategy fan.
George Alagiaaaaaaargh: I lost my pecker in the siege :(

#12 Janek

Janek

That's "Captain" to you

• Members

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:25 PM

C&C isn't strategy.
Ah! Harvard University! The special jail where people with too much math are imprisoned forever and forced to teach each other about poems.

Sandwiches are better than people. You can put anything you want in a sandwich, and it won't complain.

You spin me right round, baby, right round, in a manner depriving me of an inertial reference frame. Baby.

#13 Josh

Josh

Evil bird

• Admin

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:26 PM

What would you call it?

EDIT: I don't care, it looks like strategy to me and I don't have enough time on the internet to get involved in a debate over nomenclature
George Alagiaaaaaaargh: I lost my pecker in the siege :(

#14 TSP

TSP

"The Don"

• Members

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:30 PM

Josh, on Mar 7 2006, 06:24 PM, said:

I've never actually played a C&C game, which is inexcusable, because despite my general non-gaminess I'm ostensiably a strategy fan.

View Post

The original Red Alert is the only one I'd really class as great, and that's pretty outdated now. But it is awesome.

#15 King Dumpalot

King Dumpalot

Now with a slimmer sig

• Members

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:31 PM

Saying C&C isn't strategy is bollocks, janek.

It's more accessable strategy than most, but it's still strategy, and to be honest I'll take C&C over "hardcore" turnbased strategy any day of the week.

the games also have bloody decent stories to boot. The pack comes thouroughly recommended with the KD stamp of approval.

EDIT:
TSP: RA1 is absolutely awesome. It's aged far better than C&C or even TS. I wouldn't say the mechanics are better than RA2 or generals, but it makes up for it with the FMV.

The C&C series is the exception to the rule that FMV games are shit. I'd even go so far as to say the lack of FMV in generals really detracts from the experience.
Blog - Website

#16 Janek

Janek

That's "Captain" to you

• Members

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:36 PM

Shite.

There's not much more to it than tank rush kekekeke ^____^

There's no soul to it. Superior numbers win. Get superior numbers by grinding through the build tree like a machine. No nuance, just crunching.

#17 King Dumpalot

King Dumpalot

Now with a slimmer sig

• Members

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:40 PM

and that differs from real life how? in any game, vastly superior numbers will always win. Even stuff like chess, the most strategic game of them all, the person who takes the most pieces will win.

Remember all the missions that give you limited amouns of people as well, and the time limited missions. It's not all about massive tankrushes don'tchaknow.
Blog - Website

#18 Jen

Jen

Miles Edgeworth: 2 Kool 4 Skool

• Members

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:41 PM

King Dumpalot, on Mar 7 2006, 04:31 PM, said:

What naughty treats that you shouldn't have bought yourself but did anyway have you indulged yourself with recently?

View Post

Veering wildly back on topic -

I think pretty much all the DVD's I've bought recently count. I've bought an awful lot when I should be sving my money to sort out my ageing desktop.

But the most indulgent is today's purchase of Howl's Moving Castle, Laputa: Castle in the Sky and Kiki's Delivery Service from Play.com. Soon to be joined by Nausicaa: Valley of the Winds, My Neighbour Totoro and Princess Mononoke next week. In fact - I think I'll have most of the Studio Ghibli collection within the month.

I may be addicted.

EDIT: Oh. And the 10th Doctor figure I just bought off Ebay. Like the wanton geek that I am.
---------------------------------------------------------
I lost some time once...it's always in the last place you look for it. Violent Becoming Downtown, Olympus Town

#19 Carlisle Dave

Carlisle Dave

Doctor at Law

• Admin

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:41 PM

I used to snake Tesla Coils up the map, using with an ore silo here or there to extend where I could build them, right into the enemies base. I never liked  tank rushing.

#20 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

Ultimate Lu-Tze

• Admin

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:43 PM

This is why real-time strategy games are shit.
"It's amazing how deep we had to drill to find our key difference,
but it seems that whilst I am Amazing you are Ultimate."- Lu

#21 Janek

Janek

That's "Captain" to you

• Members

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:50 PM

And also not strategy ¬_¬

I'm not sure anyone's strictly allowed to use the fucking stealth missions to argue anything. EVER.

Want proper strategy? Total War. Proper tactics? Ground Control.

Mildly diverting test of clicking, with awesome cutscenes? C&C.

#22 TSP

TSP

"The Don"

• Members

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:03 PM

King Dumpalot, on Mar 7 2006, 06:31 PM, said:

TSP: RA1 is absolutely awesome. It's aged far better than C&C or even TS. I wouldn't say the mechanics are better than RA2 or generals, but it makes up for it with the FMV.

The C&C series is the exception to the rule that FMV games are shit. I'd even go so far as to say the lack of FMV in generals really detracts from the experience.

View Post

Yeah, leaving the FMV out was a major blunder. I also think that TS got a bad rap - it wasn't that bad.

I'm not a big fan of 'hardcore' strategy games either.

#23 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:04 PM

Except the cutscenes got less awesome after Red Alert.  Red Alert had the best ones despite it being painfully obvious that it was done on a shoestring budget, while the ones in Tiberian Sun which involved actual proper actors like Michael Biehn and James Earl Jones were excruciatingly bad.  And of course RA2 replaced Kane with Yuri and so automatically failed.  The quality seemed to scale in inverse proportion to the budget.

#24 Peter

Peter

If the good lord had intended me to live in LA...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:06 PM

Janek, on Mar 7 2006, 06:50 PM, said:

And also not strategy ¬_¬

I'm not sure anyone's strictly allowed to use the fucking stealth missions to argue anything. EVER.

Want proper strategy? Total War. Proper tactics? Ground Control.

Mildly diverting test of clicking, with awesome cutscenes? C&C.

View Post

Yay!

So far, probably just Battlefield 2 for me. But it's fun.

I know I'm going to end up getting Ghost Recon 3 though. ¬_¬
Can't we say 'alive again'? Isn't that nicer?

#25 TSP

TSP

"The Don"

• Members

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:09 PM

Hentzau, on Mar 7 2006, 07:04 PM, said:

Except the cutscenes got less awesome after Red Alert.  Red Alert had the best ones despite it being painfully obvious that it was done on a shoestring budget, while the ones in Tiberian Sun which involved actual proper actors like Michael Biehn and James Earl Jones were excruciatingly bad.  And of course RA2 replaced Kane with Yuri and so automatically failed.  The quality seemed to scale in inverse proportion to the budget.

View Post

Yeah, that it did.

I seem to remember the ones in Tiberian Sun making little if any sense, and occasionally having absolutely nothing to do with your actual mission. I think that made it slightly more entertaining as a game for me actually.