BANG!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:27 AM

This is Bang. It is a card game that we played today that was good fun. It requires a relatively small number of players (4-7) and has a small element of TWG-like subterfuge to it (Sheriff/Deputies aren't sure who is and isn't friendly, Outlaws can't openly attack the Sheriff without tipping their hand) so I decided to try and adapt it for internet play. This required some adjustments. If, first of all, the people who played it today and know what the fuck I'm talking about could take a look and point out any glaring errors, that would be cool (basically look at the Order of Play and the card descriptions for the technical changes). Secondly, if people could indicate whether or not they'd be interested in taking it out for a test run that would also be cool. It may look complicated, but it really isn't - most of the technical detail will be dealt with by me, and the only concrete action required on your part is deciding which cards to use against whom.

NOW I can go to bed.

#2 Jentastic!

Jentastic!

Cake!

• Members

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:06 AM

So I guess there's no way to knowingly protect against bangs?

Hmmm. I'd be okay for trying it out in a test run.
Existentialism? Don't even get me Sartred.

#3 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:11 AM

In the games we played yesterday everybody automatically played Missed! cards anyway - I can't really think of a reason why you wouldn't since life is too precious. If you want to have some protection it's a good idea to keep a Missed! card or two around.

#4 Clearasday

Clearasday

Bake 'em away toys.

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:36 AM

It looks complicated for you, but for me it looks awesome, I'd be in for a test-run to see if it worked
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head."

#5 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:06 AM

I think I've ironed out everything except for the Dynamite. I think I'll just make a check on every single player at the start of the round (starting with the one who dropped it) and the first one to fail takes the damage. If a player wants to defuse it with the Cat Balou, they don't need to target a specific player; all they do is target the Dynamite.

#6 Jentastic!

Jentastic!

Cake!

• Members

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:06 AM

View PostHentzau, on May 17 2009, 10:11 AM, said:

In the games we played yesterday everybody automatically played Missed! cards anyway - I can't really think of a reason why you wouldn't since life is too precious. If you want to have some protection it's a good idea to keep a Missed! card or two around.
Are you saying that if someone has a missed card in their hand you'd automatically play it for them? Because I was understanding it as you can only play two cards of your choosing, and it's very restrictive if you feel you need to play a missed in every turn (let alone not actually being able to).

<edit> Ah, I missed that bit in the wiki. So yes, missed cards are played automatically, cool.

#7 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:10 AM

View PostJentastic!, on May 17 2009, 11:06 AM, said:

Are you saying that if someone has a missed card in their hand you'd automatically play it for them? Because I was understanding it as you can only play two cards of your choosing, and it's very restrictive if you feel you need to play a missed in every turn (let alone not actually being able to).

<edit> Ah, I missed that bit in the wiki. So yes, missed cards are played automatically, cool.
Nonono, you can play as many cards as you want, and it's a good idea to keep Missed! and Beer cards in your hand since I'll play them automatically for you if they're needed (this is actually part of the real rules for Beer - it can be drunk out of turn if you take a lethal hit.). Really it's just a matter of picking which cards you want to keep rather than which ones you want to play. The hand limit is just there to prevent people from amassing a million BANG!s and Missed! cards, I guess.

#8 Jentastic!

Jentastic!

Cake!

• Members

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:17 AM

Aaahhh, okay. Hooray for beer!

#9 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:20 AM

One final twiddle: there are two cards (Indians! and Duel) that force you to discard BANG! cards or lose a life point. I will default to assuming that people want to save their life points, and so first any BANG! cards left unplayed will be discarded, and after those any BANG! cards that are played later in the order after the Duel card has been played. HOWEVER, if you really really want an attack on somebody to go through, make some note of it next to the BANG! card you play and I'll let you take the life point hit rather than discard.

#10 Janek

Janek

That's "Captain" to you

• Members

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:58 AM

I'm in for a test run.

Edit: Hang on doesn't the hand limit go on starting health points, rather than current? Certainly yesterday we were playing with the full 4-5 cards no matter what. Or maybe I just didn't notice because when I went down it was very swift, due to HORRIBLE PERSECUTION.
Ah! Harvard University! The special jail where people with too much math are imprisoned forever and forced to teach each other about poems.

Sandwiches are better than people. You can put anything you want in a sandwich, and it won't complain.

You spin me right round, baby, right round, in a manner depriving me of an inertial reference frame. Baby.

#11 Inflammable Jim

Inflammable Jim

Overlooked by the Academy

• Admin

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:22 PM

Are you doubting the authority of the sheriff's hat. But yeah when we played it was certainly based on starting health-points.
You know...we lost the first battle of the Chesapeake because of a mysterious...treacherous...Ankylosaurus

#12 Kramer

Kramer

Chalk

• Members

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:34 PM

I'd be up for a test game, naturally.

#13 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:24 PM

View PostJanek, on May 17 2009, 12:58 PM, said:

Edit: Hang on doesn't the hand limit go on starting health points, rather than current? Certainly yesterday we were playing with the full 4-5 cards no matter what. Or maybe I just didn't notice because when I went down it was very swift, due to HORRIBLE PERSECUTION.
Yeah having actually read the rules now they do make it very clear; you can only have as many cards in your hand as you have health points.

#14 Josh

Josh

Evil bird

• Admin

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:36 PM

That seems wrong, though, as it means that the weaker you are the less effectively you can fight back.

But then I suppose it would make the game a bit less draggy-outy.
George Alagiaaaaaaargh: I lost my pecker in the siege :(

#15 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:44 PM

View PostJosh, on May 17 2009, 02:36 PM, said:

That seems wrong, though, as it means that the weaker you are the less effectively you can fight back.

But then I suppose it would make the game a bit less draggy-outy.
It was incredibly difficult to kill people yesterday; people kept bouncing back from one health far too often. Anyway, with a probable one round a day I don't want this to stretch out past a couple of weeks _

#16 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:50 PM

Okay so. That's Jen!, CAD, Janek, Kramer and I browbeat Jim into it on IRC. Need two more.

#17 Josh

Josh

Evil bird

• Admin

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:11 PM

You're supposed to ask me if my post could be read as an assent. I had a sarcastic retort prepared and everything.

#18 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:45 PM

No, I was going to follow the lead of my idol Masked. Oh, very well then.

"Does that mean you're in, Josh?"

#19 Feet

Feet

Hugo! Isaac! yay!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:52 PM

I did not play at the meet but go on then. IN.
I still love you

#20 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 17 May 2009 - 04:00 PM

EXCELLENT.

We shall begin soonly, with a first deadline at 9pm tomorrow.

#21 Josh

Josh

Evil bird

• Admin

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:27 PM

Vice-sheriff, yessss!

Sheriff, whoever you are - I'm your guy.

#22 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

Ultimate Lu-Tze

• Admin

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:23 PM

View PostHentzau, on May 17 2009, 04:45 PM, said:

No, I was going to follow the lead of my idol Masked. Oh, very well then.

"Does that mean you're in, Josh?"
Eh?
"It's amazing how deep we had to drill to find our key difference,
but it seems that whilst I am Amazing you are Ultimate."- Lu

#23 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:32 PM

I long ago gave up posting "IN!" in signup threads instead trusting that me simply posting in the thread was sufficient indication of my interest. Usually what would then happen is that the GM would ask me "Does that mean you're in?" to which I would reply with a suitably sarcastic comment. This is why I spent quite a lot of the first day of TWG puzzled as to why I hadn't received a role PM until I went and had a look at the player list.

#24 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

Ultimate Lu-Tze

• Admin

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:10 PM

Well let that be a lesson to you in the future then.
"It's amazing how deep we had to drill to find our key difference,
but it seems that whilst I am Amazing you are Ultimate."- Lu

#25 Feet

Feet

Hugo! Isaac! yay!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:57 AM

Ok, so.

Dense moment possibly. It's early.

I've shot at people, they've shot at me. Hilarity has ensued and we're on round two.

At this point I'm supposed to be attempting to profile people and their role, identifying allies or enemies - so should I be asking people for their motives in thread on why they chose to do what they did? Should people be asking me why I shot at Josh?

What type of card play is indicative of role anyway? Or is it purely down to patterns of who is shooting who, which will become more apparent as the rounds go by? Basically I'm trying to work out what the players do in each round thread and how that aids in working out who is on my side. Is it just for banter and jokes, or is it for serious discussion of who might be who ala TWG? If it is just about who people are NOT shooting, then I have something to go off.
I still love you