Jump to content


The Forest


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 Dystopian Rhetoric

Dystopian Rhetoric

    Bumbling Idiot

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:53 AM

As described in their PMs, Forbes and Richard have caught up with the monster. Let's conduct further action here for the sake of convenience.

#2 Kramer

Kramer

    Chalk

  • Members

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:14 PM

I suggest that other characters start thinking about doing that chant thing sharpish ¬_¬

EDIT: Are there any other Latin speakers apart from Forbes and Malcolm? Now's the time to grab those incantations.

#3 Feet

Feet

    Hugo! Isaac! yay!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:18 PM

OOC: There's nothing in this world we'd like to do more, but unfortunately the only two readers of Latin in the group have naffed off into a forest which might make things difficult. ¬_¬
I still love you

#4 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

    Ultimate Lu-Tze

  • Admin

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:19 PM

We only need to say it out loud, not understand it, surely?
"It's amazing how deep we had to drill to find our key difference,
but it seems that whilst I am Amazing you are Ultimate."- Lu

#5 Kramer

Kramer

    Chalk

  • Members

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:20 PM

DR: what's the time in Wingrave at the moment?

#6 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

    Ultimate Lu-Tze

  • Admin

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:27 PM

The sun set while we were in the house.
"It's amazing how deep we had to drill to find our key difference,
but it seems that whilst I am Amazing you are Ultimate."- Lu

#7 Optimist

Optimist

    ...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:34 PM

Hey, you can always find us if you need us. Just follow the screaming.

Malcolm follows the trail into the forests, hissing "Forbes!" under his breath at regular intervals and clutching the stick tightly like a talisman.

#8 Kramer

Kramer

    Chalk

  • Members

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:42 PM

Forbes thought he was in heaven. About 35 feet away, stood before him a young man with the chiseled body of an adonis. He had golden locks and striking, deep blue eyes.  The young man was beckoning Forbes to him in Greek:

"Come, mister, come to me"

Forbes, trance-like, walked very slowly towards the young man; a tingling, excited feeling ran through his bones. He felt like a little girl on Christmas Eve. He started trembling with anticipation. He dropped his shot gun. He was now about 30 feet away from the young man. He continued forward.

#9 Dystopian Rhetoric

Dystopian Rhetoric

    Bumbling Idiot

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:08 PM

The time is about 7:30 PM currently.

The creature fades to an indistinct blur, barely visible at all. Even Forbes, so entranced by it, now can't actually see it, though the sense of longing he felt remains. All present in the area hear a low growling (apart from Forbes, to whom it sounds like sweet singing).

#10 Optimist

Optimist

    ...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:52 PM

At the sound of growling, Malcolm begins to mutter vague prayers to any deities that might be listening. He forces himself to walk forward, towards the sound, and stumbles through some trees to find himself face-to-face with Forbes.

The other man seems to be staring at a patch of forest which is slightly more blurry than the other bits of forest. He also appears to be unarmed. Malcolm presses the stick he’s carrying into Forbes’ hands with slightly more force than is strictly necessary. He then starts looking around for the shotgun.

“We’re in trouble, Forbes” he whispers, “unless you know where the Major is, we should probably make a run for the house without him.”

Assuming he finds the shotgun, he points it vaguely in the direction of the noise, intending to shoot anything more threatening than a squirrel the moment he becomes aware of it.

Find shotgun? please?

Can he track with his ears as well as his eyes? If so, he tries to work out where the growling came from.

And, if he gets the gun, I’d like to specify that he automatically shoots at anything that tries to attack him, given the chance.


#11 Dystopian Rhetoric

Dystopian Rhetoric

    Bumbling Idiot

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:31 PM

Yeah, you find the gun. But your tracking attempt fails miserably, you've got no idea where the thing is.

I'd just like to wait for SKW05 to post before continuing...


#12 Feet

Feet

    Hugo! Isaac! yay!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:37 PM

He's in some other timezone. He posts at night generally.
I still love you

#13 Bassoon

Bassoon

    @~#*&$%

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:41 PM

Maybe he's Cthulu :o

#14 Inflammable Jim

Inflammable Jim

    Overlooked by the Academy

  • Admin

Posted 23 May 2008 - 04:18 PM

View PostFeet, on May 23 2008, 04:37 PM, said:

He's in some other timezone. He posts at night generally.
(Bournemouth + night shifts)
You know...we lost the first battle of the Chesapeake because of a mysterious...treacherous...Ankylosaurus

#15 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

    Ultimate Lu-Tze

  • Admin

Posted 23 May 2008 - 04:20 PM

He mostly comes out at night. Mostly.
"It's amazing how deep we had to drill to find our key difference,
but it seems that whilst I am Amazing you are Ultimate."- Lu

#16 SKW05

SKW05

    Steven W

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:20 PM

Its nighttime, yeeeeeeesssss.  *slurp*

At first, Richard was frozen with terror, watching theb unnatural beast feast upon the heart of the poor tramp.  He backs away as it turned to face him, tentacles writhing 'orribly!

Few scant seconds later, however, the monster's attention appears to waver.  Forbes, in a trance-like manner, seems to be walking toward the horror's patiently-waiting maws!

Richard does what any old soldier would do: whips out his shotgun and aims to the dead centre of the creature!  If it has enough physical presence to tear open the tramps chest, then a shotgun blast to the face should at least surprise it.

As he fires, Richard roars:

'Forbes, get out of here!'

Richard, being the hero, and doing what bone-headed heroes are wont to do.  Who bets he's a dead man walking?  *raises hand*

#17 Bassoon

Bassoon

    @~#*&$%

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:49 PM

I can't watch :o

#18 Dystopian Rhetoric

Dystopian Rhetoric

    Bumbling Idiot

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:15 AM

The shots either miss, or just plain pass through the creature. It's hard to say. The blur changes direction, momentarily becoming more solid as it rushes towards Richard, slashing at him with its talons.

Richard takes 7 HP damage.

#19 Optimist

Optimist

    ...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:53 AM

Malcolm’s head snaps round at the sound of the shot. He sees the major get attacked by some thing. His mouth goes dry and his heart speeds up, pounding in his ears as he runs over to the stricken man on legs that feel like jelly.

“Major!” Malcolm shouts, grabbing the other man’s arm and attempting to shield him from any further attacks with his own body. “Can you run? We can’t fight this, we need to get away from here, back to the house!”

“Spirit!” he yells “in the name of Jesus the redeemer, God His father and the holy Ghost, I bid you, depart from here!”

Well, it usually works on the mischievous spirits he’s encountered at the séance tables. Of course, said spirits don’t generally go around ripping people open (hiding socks is more their chosen method of irritation) but Malcolm can only go with what he knows.

He attempts to drag Richard away from the unseen creature’s claws and back towards the house.

Get between creature and Richard (ow)
Drag Richard away from creature (if arms are still attached).
Exit, carrying Richard. (In my dreams...)


#20 Dystopian Rhetoric

Dystopian Rhetoric

    Bumbling Idiot

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2008 - 12:54 PM

The creature strikes again, its talons piercing Malcolm's chest. It throws him to one side like a doll.

Malcolm takes 11 damage, and is rendered unconscious. Without rapid medical attention, he will die.

#21 Inflammable Jim

Inflammable Jim

    Overlooked by the Academy

  • Admin

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:01 PM

well this is awkward
You know...we lost the first battle of the Chesapeake because of a mysterious...treacherous...Ankylosaurus

#22 Dystopian Rhetoric

Dystopian Rhetoric

    Bumbling Idiot

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:05 PM

The lesson here is that running after the monster is usually a bad idea.

#23 Kramer

Kramer

    Chalk

  • Members

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:47 PM

The sight of the young man slashing at Richard and piercing Malcolm's chest was enough to snap Forbes out of his trance. He saw, for the first time, the monster for what it was. In his dazed and startled state, he was relying purely on the "fight or flight" instinct. He was not thinking rationally or emotionally, he just wanted to get away -- he didn't even look to see if he was stepping in mud!

Forbes tries to run, as quickly and queitly as possible, back to the house.

#24 Bassoon

Bassoon

    @~#*&$%

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2008 - 06:56 PM

I vote we leave them to die.

#25 SKW05

SKW05

    Steven W

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2008 - 09:41 PM

I believe the appropriate response is :eep!

Richard reels in horror at the clawing beast, but is even more overwhelmed at Malcom's incredible act of bravery, and at such a frightful cost to himself!

Injured, but not yet beaten, Richard swears that he shall not leave Malcolm to die!  Throwing himself at Malcolm, he proceeds to drag him away with ever atom of strength and speed he can muster!

Richard will try to get Malcolm towards the house (good old fireman's life should do it) on account it being the only possible thing a brave man such as himself would do.  The poor fool: next time I play a yellow-belly.

Might I suggest those people in the house make good use of this time?  The beastie is outside and busy; the attic is free to be explored quickly, and the ritual could even be started.