The Sidelines

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
123 replies to this topic

#26 Dystopian Rhetoric

Dystopian Rhetoric

Bumbling Idiot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:57 PM

Opening's a bit naff, I know. But I wanted to run a gentle, introductory thing before we started on something more meaty, to see if the format works and so forth. And this was the gentlest, most introductory one I could find.

#27 Bassoon

Bassoon

@~#*&$%

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2008 - 12:34 AM

View PostJosh, on May 16 2008, 05:18 PM, said:

I find that quite offensive. Please don't resort to casual homophobia, thanks.
Did I imply I had a problem with it?  In fact, what surprised me was the fact that we have at least two characters who seem to have paedophilic tendencies.

#28 SKW05

SKW05

Steven W

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:12 AM

View PostBassoon, on May 17 2008, 01:34 AM, said:

paedophilic tendencies.

You're kidding, right?

#29 Josh

Josh

Evil bird

• Admin

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:23 AM

I don't care whether he's kidding or not.

Bassoon, homosexuality and paedophilia are nowhere near being the same thing, and if you ever say anything that comes even close to being that offensive then you'll get banned. Which I expect will happen, as you have demonstrated your utter inability to respond to warnings, but I'd like to feel like I've at least given you a fair crack.
George Alagiaaaaaaargh: I lost my pecker in the siege :(

#30 Bassoon

Bassoon

@~#*&$%

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:48 AM

Sorry if I've caused offence.

#31 SKW05

SKW05

Steven W

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:55 AM

I can't say I spotted the initial 'casual homophobia', but seriously Bassoon: no character bio actually suggests 'paedophilic tendencies'!  Rent-boys is a catch-all term for all gay male prostitutes of whatever age, and as for the other gay/bi character, a 29yr old with an interest in 'young men' does not = an interest in underage boys, right?  

Good, then thats sorted.

#32 Scuzz

Scuzz

Least Geeky Talesian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:11 PM

I probably wont be very active in this until tomorrow or Monday due to not being near a computer often/at all.
"I've been disappointed with the boobs so far this season." - Masked Dave

#33 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

Ultimate Lu-Tze

• Admin

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:08 AM

So what are our movements now? We've got the choice of The House, The Library and The Museum, right? Have I missed anything?

Might be good if people just said where they each wanted to go and we'll just split up rather than dragging it out with "I agree with x" posts.
"It's amazing how deep we had to drill to find our key difference,
but it seems that whilst I am Amazing you are Ultimate."- Lu

#34 Feet

Feet

Hugo! Isaac! yay!

• Members

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:12 AM

I concur. I would say that we should all arrive at the house together though, since  obviously what occurs there will be key to the progression of the mystery and it wouldn't be fair not to have certain characters present for that. I wouldn't want people to miss out on their character going insane.
I still love you

#35 Kramer

Kramer

Chalk

• Members

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:19 AM

Not sure I agree Feet, seems to me that some characters want to rush to the house while others want to do some research first. Surely, those that want to go to the house first shouldn't be preventing from doing so. Perhaps there will be "You must gather your party before venturing forth" points.

#36 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

Ultimate Lu-Tze

• Admin

Posted 19 May 2008 - 01:23 PM

Well you can always go to the house after us Feet, and find our torn corpses strewed across the grounds. It'll add to the atmosphere.

#37 Feet

Feet

Hugo! Isaac! yay!

• Members

Posted 19 May 2008 - 01:31 PM

Hey man, I don't want my character to miss out on the corpse tearing! That's the best part of the adventure! Stop hogging the corpse tearing! Why would you do that Masked!? Why!? Why would you do that?!
I still love you

#38 Schtroumpf

Schtroumpf

Swashbuckling Boat Mage

• Admin

Posted 19 May 2008 - 01:33 PM

Well unless anyone else agrees to come with me I'm just going to have Jock leave for the library sometime tonight.  Unless I misunderstood Strudel's entry he is coming with me.

Although it would be handy if at least one more person with the 'Library Use' skill came along.

"The temperature inside this apple pie is over 1000 degrees. If I squeeze it, a jet of molten bramley apple will squirt out. Could go your way; could go mine. Either way, one of us is going down."

#39 Feet

Feet

Hugo! Isaac! yay!

• Members

Posted 19 May 2008 - 01:39 PM

I'm going to the House then, my character would be uninterested and useless at the Museum or Library.

Do we wait for DR to make new threads for these locations, or... what?
I still love you

#40 Kramer

Kramer

Chalk

• Members

Posted 19 May 2008 - 01:47 PM

View PostSmurf, on May 19 2008, 02:33 PM, said:

Well unless anyone else agrees to come with me I'm just going to have Jock leave for the library sometime tonight.  Unless I misunderstood Strudel's entry he is coming with me.

Although it would be handy if at least one more person with the 'Library Use' skill came along.

Just to note, Forbes and Richard Hadrt-Oass are off to the library too, then off to see the solicitor. I don't know whether you want Jock to go with them or make his own way there.

#41 Schtroumpf

Schtroumpf

Swashbuckling Boat Mage

• Admin

Posted 19 May 2008 - 01:50 PM

Oh, so they are.  I misread that post as you going to the solicitors.

Do we wait for DR to make new threads for these locations, or... what?
I think DR makes new threads.

"The temperature inside this apple pie is over 1000 degrees. If I squeeze it, a jet of molten bramley apple will squirt out. Could go your way; could go mine. Either way, one of us is going down."

#42 Kramer

Kramer

Chalk

• Members

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:02 PM

Just to note something before I dash off. Did Ben ever signal his intention to go to the library? If so, I can't see it.

#43 Schtroumpf

Schtroumpf

Swashbuckling Boat Mage

• Admin

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:03 PM

Not as such, but his post below mine at the bottom of page 1 seemed to suggest that he was.  Obviously when Strudel comes online after work tonight he can clear things up.  It's easy enough for him to not go with us.

#44 Inflammable Jim

Inflammable Jim

Overlooked by the Academy

• Admin

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:24 PM

*ponders if his grasp of German is 100% accurate*
You know...we lost the first battle of the Chesapeake because of a mysterious...treacherous...Ankylosaurus

#45 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

Ultimate Lu-Tze

• Admin

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:53 PM

View PostFeet, on May 19 2008, 02:31 PM, said:

Hey man, I don't want my character to miss out on the corpse tearing! That's the best part of the adventure! Stop hogging the corpse tearing! Why would you do that Masked!? Why!? Why would you do that?!
Hey, don't worry, they'll be plenty of corpse tearing left for the rest of you.

#46 Optimist

Optimist

• Members

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:00 PM

What's all this talk of corpses?

They'll be lucky if they find a hand. Or maybe an eyeball.

#47 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

Ultimate Lu-Tze

• Admin

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:03 PM

Mutant zombie ghosts who clean up after themselves? How thoughtful.

#48 Kramer

Kramer

Chalk

• Members

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:29 PM

Ah ... I appear to have made a bit of an historical oversight :blush: . If the British Library/ Museum doesn't turn anything up, would my fellow researchers object to trying the library at UCL before visiting the solicitors?

#49 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

Ultimate Lu-Tze

• Admin

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:35 PM

I imagine DR will provide any information he was going to whatever library you are at.

#50 Dystopian Rhetoric

Dystopian Rhetoric

Bumbling Idiot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:37 PM

View PostMasked Dave, on May 19 2008, 05:35 PM, said:

I imagine DR will provide any information he was going to whatever library you are at.

Heh, yeah. No sense dragging it out. That'd just be boring.