Yes I get to start the thread with the rhyming title yessssss
George Alagiaaaaaaargh: I lost my pecker in the siege :(

#2 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:30 AM

My predictions for the year:
  • Battletech will be released, and it will be good.
  • Torment will be released, and it will be OK.
  • Mass Effect Andromeda will be released, and it will be more of the same from Bioware despite Witcher 3 now making everything they've ever done pale in comparison.
  • All of the games that I've held off purchasing because they're Early Access will continue to be Early Access come 2018.
  • There will be approximately 15,736 Warhammer games released in 2017. Of these, perhaps one of them will actually be worth playing. It will not be Dawn Of War 3.
  • Firaxis will release something in October, probably an expansion pack to XCOM 2.
  • Sid Meier's Gettysburg and the Mechwarrior series will continue to not be on GOG.
  • Telltale will continue to make shitty comic tie-ins rather than Tales From The Borderlands 2.

#3 Innokenti

Innokenti

I am an awesome horse.

• Admin

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:10 PM

I didn't do a proper retrospective for 2016 Year of Games (and other things) but I think everyone knows most of the good stuff anyway. I will however present my anticipation of 2017 in light of/in contrast to 2016's glut of general excellence.

2016 Brought us Doom, which reminded us that id are capable of doing it right, and also renovating the old classics as was done to their Wolfenstein in 2015. Will Quake Champions do the same for the old-skool MP gaming? Will it even come in 2017?

2016 Delivered unto us Dishonored 2, which brought to bear the legacy of excellent level design and feel from the likes of Thief (and in many ways harkens to Thief 2 in fact) to finally tie together the Dishonored formula into something truly fabulous. Arkane have been one of my favourite devs for some time, so I hope that 2017's Prey will take his all further and blow us all away.

2016 Brought us Total Warhammer. I like Total War. I rather like Warhammer. And CA really did deliver on a lot of the ideals of both, together with an excellent DLC plan and execution. They have been truly admirable in their efforts across the board and I have poured a surprising amount of time into the game. Will 2017's Total Warhammer expansion and DLC bring more goodness and keep up the strong work? Boy I sure hope so.

2016 Sneaked in Obsidian's Tyranny as I had hoped they would. I still haven't managed to complete it though and while I like a lot... and I loved Pillars of Eternity, it feels like Obsidian are missing something. Weirdly enough I think they were better off in the slightly more modern world of 3rd Person and FPS RPGs and with a few constraints to put the fire into them. With PoE and Tyranny it feels they have rested on laurels and past solutions (even though they do continue to innovate strongly). So, nothing from them for 2017 (though Tyranny wasn't on the radar at the start of 2016!) but inXile's Torment is coming to us very soon. I hope that they deliver on the weighty legacy of Planescape: Torment. Don't we all?

2016 made titanfall with... uh... Titanfall 2 which brought us fun FPS shooty-stompy and more incredibly tight modern Multiplayer. Respawn have shown off their excellent skills twice now but while critical acclaim is theirs this does not seem to properly translate into financial success. I hope to see another game from them as they now ascend to the status of Trusted Developer. Speaking of Multiplayer and RPGs, this year we're getting Mass Effect: Andromeda. Hmm. Overall structure looks borrowed from Inquisition, and it's Mass Effect which is usually fun enough, but I honestly don't hold out too much hope - I do not trust Bioware to do the 'We are terrible colonist invaders' thing justice in the telling. What I really would like is an improvement on the ME3 MP formula which delivered so many fun hours of tight tight co-op.

2016 activated the rebel base of XCOM 2 and it didn't quite extreme enough in its shake-up of the formula of the first game. Too much of what made XCOM:EU a little bit awkward still lingers, but a lot of new goodness did arrive and I've still given over a good chunk of time to the game. Will anything scratch that squad-based TBS itch? Or even anything similar? Well, inXile's Bard's Tale is actually pencilled in for the end of the year to continue the party-based grid-crawl. It will not be released this year, I can be sure of that (but I hope it will be good!)

2016 rammed Battlefleet Gothic: Armada into our portside, showing off not only a fantastic space tactical game, but one of the most Warhammer 40k games ever with fabulously overblown voice acting, plot and attention to detail. Such good fun will not be remotely had in Dawn of War 3 which seems to have regressed to questionable old-skool ideas, poor artwork, and a lack of 40k feel. Boo Relic. Boo.

What else did 2016 give us? Well, Civ 6 looked very promising and I hope to go back and really grock it. Hitman came out and the first chapter was fantastic - I need more time with the full game. Uncharted 4 capped off that saga and Rise of the Tomb Raider was extremely fun to play. Firewatch was a phenomenal story and photography game that I am so glad exists and I got to play. Banner Saga 2 made me play the series and start to love it Curious Expedition was strangely fun and curiously clever. And Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun has come in right there at the end to bring us a whiff of Commandos which is delightful and exhilarating.

2017 will hopefully delight us with Horizon: Zero Dawn on the PS4, as well as bring to us the Nintendo Switch which I feel is full of promise. There's also Divinity: Original Sin 2 which has some interesting idea about story co-op and PvP! And Battletech. Yes please Harebrained!

2016 was not without its disappointments too. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided was ok but just not good enough; Stellaris promised so much but failed by quite a margin; No Man's Sky... existed.

A big shoutout as always goes out to Heroes of the Storm which continues to be a staple of fun and joy as new heroes, battlefields and modes are released and I spend more money on skins and mounts. I continue to devote more time to it than any other game I think I've know (and it has now surpassed my TF2 play hours).
Proud of Russia because we have cheaper Paracetamol
"" Jen (and KD) on my photoshop skills.
Look no further for Kentoshop™, KentiHugs™ and Abwebsobmeb!
"I don't know who he is either but whoever it is he looks craaaazy..." - Optimist about me. 

#4 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:33 AM

I am so not on board for the Switch. I get that Nintendo feel they can't compete directly against Xbone/PS4, but after the Wii and Wii U I'm starting to see anything they do with their consoles as unnecessarily gimmicky. Said gimmicks have driven third parties away to the point where they're now almost entirely reliant on first party titles (I don't think they even have any dedicated second-party developers a la Retro or Factor 5 these days), and those just aren't shifting consoles the way they used to. It's just detrimental to the ecosystem.

#5 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

Ultimate Lu-Tze

• Admin

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:03 PM

The Switch does seem to be a move back towards a more traditional console though.
"It's amazing how deep we had to drill to find our key difference,
but it seems that whilst I am Amazing you are Ultimate."- Lu

#6 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

Ultimate Lu-Tze

• Admin

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:22 PM

So I had quite a bit of fun with the Titanfall 2 singleplayer, tried the multiplayer and well... why is it so damn hard to just get into a game? Why am I kicked back to the main menu after each fight? And why, even with a low ping, is it really fucking laggy?

#7 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:30 PM

Are you playing it on PC? Player numbers might have fallen to the point where it's difficult to get games that aren't Attrition.

#8 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

Ultimate Lu-Tze

• Admin

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:04 PM

I just want a 'play a game' button.

#9 Jen

Jen

Miles Edgeworth: 2 Kool 4 Skool

• Members

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:33 PM

It's often pointless for me to do Year In Review stuff for games because I rarely play anything other than LEGO Games the year they come out (with the occasional exception for Bioware) but 2016 will go down as The Year I Actually Played (And Enjoyed!) A Multiplayer Game.

I play Overwatch (badly) now. This is a strange new world for me. (And if anyone ever wants to play it with me so my nights of Actually That Was Fun aren't quite so rare I would welcome it.)

I also played Pokemon Moon until my thumb started cramping so now have to play it sparingly. Plus LEGO The Force Awakens was a true delight to play.

This year I am looking forwards to Mass Effect: Andromeda because my standards aren't as high as yours. I will likely get whatever LEGO games come out because I gotta catch 'em all, apparently. I will likely spend the rest of the time playing many old games I have yet to finish.
---------------------------------------------------------
I lost some time once...it's always in the last place you look for it. Violent Becoming Downtown, Olympus Town

#10 Fat Zombie

Fat Zombie

Bony Spectre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:59 AM

Gravity Rush 2 in THIRTEEN DAYS

#11 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

Ultimate Lu-Tze

• Admin

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:09 PM

Just been added to the Gwent beta. Obviously not going to get a chance to play until later (hopefully this evening) but is anyone else here playing it?

#12 Strudel the Dancing Pastry

Strudel the Dancing Pastry

There's no I in TEAM

• Members

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:55 PM

Yeah, I haven't played in a few weeks but I got in around the beginning of December. It's okay for brief spells but it isn't something I can spend very long playing before being bored.
Spins and turns, angles and curves. The shape of dreams, half remembered. Slip the surly bonds of earth and touch the face of perfection - a perfect face, perfect lace.
Jentastic: THAT'S RIGHT, I like double entry
<@Strudel> How big's your dongle Kramer?
only about 2 inches :(

#13 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:04 PM

Opinions on the Nintendo Switch? I think it'll be Nintendo's last console, but then I don't think I'm in the target market for it any more.

#14 Strudel the Dancing Pastry

There's no I in TEAM

• Members

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:07 PM

I love the look of the new Zelda and Mario games, but I can't see myself paying ÂŁ300+ just to play two games.
Spins and turns, angles and curves. The shape of dreams, half remembered. Slip the surly bonds of earth and touch the face of perfection - a perfect face, perfect lace.

#15 Strudel the Dancing Pastry

There's no I in TEAM

• Members

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:15 PM

Plus, a three hour battery life for Zelda would just about get me to and from uni each day but that's about it. Hmmm. HMMMMMMMMM.

#16 Insert Name Here

Insert Name Here

Reassuringly Elephants

• Members

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:57 PM

I'm definitely not going to buy it at launch, but I may buy it a few months down the line for Mario Kart and a couple of other things.
the internet was discovered when an internet fell out of a tree and hit lord isaac internet on the head

#17 Carlisle Dave

Carlisle Dave

Doctor at Law

• Admin

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:08 PM

Very underwhelmed and I wonder if it will be Nintendo's last console. I'll still probably buy it at some point, for Mario mainly but can't remember when I last felt disappointed by a Nintendo console announcement.

#18 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

Ultimate Lu-Tze

• Admin

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:09 AM

View PostStrudel the Dancing Pastry, on 13 January 2017 - 12:07 PM, said:

I love the look of the new Zelda and Mario games, but I can't see myself paying ÂŁ300+ just to play two games.
This. Give up the hardware and just make the games!

#19 Fat Zombie

Fat Zombie

Bony Spectre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:10 PM

Senran Kagura creator Kenichiro Takaki expresses interest in developing for the Switch

Urge to purchase a Nintendo Switch: RISING

Kenichiro Takaki: It ’s the HD Rumble after all. Because I want to express “softness” with it. I already created a project, and now I’m in the middle of focusing on how to realise it. I think games have a “sensation of touching” in many meanings, so I want to realise a new experience that ’s exclusive to Nintendo Switch.

s o f t n e s s

#20 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

Ultimate Lu-Tze

• Admin

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:33 AM

I just saw the announcement for the crowd funding of Pillars of Eternity 2 and realised I've completely forgotten to go back and finish the first game. Another casualty of spending a year in the Witcher 3 I guess.

#21 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:06 AM

I'm not crowdfunding this one. Call me a grump, but Pillars wasn't that good and I'm really not down for more of the same. Perhaps when you take away the publisher Obsidian still just aren't *that* great at making RPGs?

#22 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

Ultimate Lu-Tze

• Admin

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:49 PM

I remember enjoying what I played, and loved the world building and storytelling, but I wasn't interested in the tactics of combat. I was hoping that the changes to party AI from the expansion patches would have made that better for me.

#23 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:05 AM

You'd like Tyranny then, since it's basically a more interesting PoE with the option to automate the combat.

#24 Insert Name Here

Insert Name Here

Reassuringly Elephants

• Members

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:02 AM

I've been playing Tyranny over the last month or so, I think I'm probably about half way through and I've really enjoyed it so far. I really like the magic system in particular, and it's nice to see a skill-based character system that I actually find satisfying, rather than the Elder Scrolls one which never really worked for me.
the internet was discovered when an internet fell out of a tree and hit lord isaac internet on the head

#25 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

Ultimate Lu-Tze

• Admin

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:48 AM

It's on my list.