Day Eight: Paper Planes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
79 replies to this topic

#1 The House

The House

Eerie and Eerier

• The House
  • PipPip

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:59 PM

"The cat," observed Goatpunch, "makes a lot of sense."

Minutes later and the entire party were disguised perfectly as rabbits. They started to make their way across the kitchen but soon realised that they had forgotten something important - they had no idea about rabbit etiquette! The trip across the kitchen too months as they bumbled their way from drawing room to parlour, using the wrong knives for their soup and causing consternation amongst high rabbit society.

Heisenberg Cat stopped on the stairs leading up, sniffed, and dropped the vial of myxomatosis he kept on his person at all times. "Good riddance," he meowed before making his way upstairs.

---

You are now in the dining room. The room is large, with a heavy oaken table running down the middle, eight padded chairs, plenty of silver dining wear and not much light.

It is alo full of paper airplanes, which seem to be kept aloft by means of an unknown force.

Walking to any one of the doors (which are to be found north, south and east) would be to invite death by a thousand paper cuts. How best to evade this menace?

WEEKEND BONUS: whoever is first to name the eight artists whose song titles have made up the names of the eight day threads will gain 2 points. No using google! I'll know!

A long day for the weekend will end on Sunday at 9.30, unless a clear winner emerges before then.[/b]
It was an evil house from the beginning - a house that was born bad.

#2 Scuzz

Scuzz

Least Geeky Talesian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:10 PM

Sorry about yesterday, turns out that being at home when living in Edinburgh during August could be troublesome. I'll try and post at some point today after I've slept.
"I've been disappointed with the boobs so far this season." - Masked Dave

#3 Strudel the Dancing Pastry

Strudel the Dancing Pastry

There's no I in TEAM

• Members

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:23 PM

I'm off to Manchester tomorrow, but will be back early hours of Sunday morning so should be about Sunday.
Spins and turns, angles and curves. The shape of dreams, half remembered. Slip the surly bonds of earth and touch the face of perfection - a perfect face, perfect lace.
Jentastic: THAT'S RIGHT, I like double entry
<@Strudel> How big's your dongle Kramer?
only about 2 inches :(

#4 Jentastic!

Jentastic!

Cake!

• Members

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:14 AM

Alright, I give up. I've been looking through my SPREADSHEET OF DOOM and find myself unable to spread any doom. In the interests of benefiting the game as a whole, and so that everybody doesn't end up spending ages doing their own spreadsheets of doom, I don't know if any of you will find the attached file helpful. It has key words/phrases used on each day, highlights where no solutions were posted/votes were cast and who voted for whom.

Um. I think the next step for me would be seeing if anything on the spreadsheet struck me as unusual or a potential base for a theme and then look through other posts. I did some of that this morning, but didn't really find anything. I have to go out in a bit, so I'm going to call it a day for now. Hopefully somebody else can come up with something.

Although, it really depends on how people are still feeling about the game. I mean, activity levels are dropping significantly and it might just be time to use the radio, whether we're sure about it or not (and I'm not, really, but I don't see any way now in which we can be confident that we've exorcised all the ghosts, particularly as inactivity benefits the ghosts in any event). Although I must say that I'd really really like to at least get one good ghost-theme before the game ends, but that may not be possible. Woe :(

Attached Files

Existentialism? Don't even get me Sartred.

#5 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:12 AM

Activity levels have dropped to the point where it is more or less impossible for us to win; where there were a maximum of three possible ghosts two days ago now half the players in the game could be ghosts, since so many people didn't post solutions. I'm inclined to agree.

#6 Lu-Tze

Lu-Tze

Amazing Dave

• Members

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:25 AM

The Osmonds, Jimi Hendrix/Bob Dylan, Michael Jackson, Stone Roses, Madonna, Marilyn Manson... bugger.

I'm happy to use the radio because my investment in the game has not been as high as i'd hoped (I was hoping i'd just be at home this week, but instead we're travelling the country meeting people).

As for the Paper Planes, I propose that we spread out and start systematically grabbing them and refolding them into paper cranes. Once we have done all 1,000 legend says we will be granted One Wish for anything at all, and can end this nightmare once and for all.
Il Porcupino Nil Sodomy Est

#7 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:40 AM

Scuzz and Jen and Smurf and Kramer and Masked and me (twice) are the vote winners. I am human. The humans have at least four points. Jen has posted a solution every single day. Jen is probably human (if she is ghost then she was the last one to be turned, although of course I have no idea when that might have been). Now it gets tricky. Kramer was guaranteed human on Day Five. If he has been turned since, the possible other ghosts are:

Strudel and Smurf and Leafcutter.
Smurf and Masked and Scuzz.

Days one to five:

Day 2 non-voters: Strudel.
Day 3 non-voters: Jim and Lu.
Day 4 non-voters: Jim and Leaf and Kramer.
Day 5 non-voters: Masked and Scuzz and Jim.

So if Kramer has been turned, the ghosts were almost certainly some combination of Masked and Scuzz and Jim, with Smurf added on the top as the turnee for Day Five. This is a horrible scenario that gives the ghosts ten points to our six even before exorcisms have been taken into account.

The best case scenario is that the ghosts were some combination of Jim and Leaf and Kramer plus a turnee or two. This basically means the ghosts only have four points to our twelve.

Those are basically the two possible scenarios, I think. If the ghosts are any other combination of people, they have too few points to compete because they can't have turned anyone. Unfortunately I think that first, worst-case one is far more likely than the second.

Still, I'm going to use the radio, simply because much more of this low activity will mean that the miniscule chance we have of winning now will turn into zero chance of winning later.

#8 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

Ultimate Lu-Tze

• Admin

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:31 PM

Use Radio because I know I'm human and apparently that means we win? I may have skim read the above post.
"It's amazing how deep we had to drill to find our key difference,
but it seems that whilst I am Amazing you are Ultimate."- Lu

#9 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

Ultimate Lu-Tze

• Admin

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:06 PM

There's No Other Way

Okay girls and boys, I think we might've come to the end of this country house. We are out of time and there is no distance left to run for tomorrow is Sunday! Sunday means of course we should all be sitting down to enjoy some coffee & TV. Now if my years of being a video game character have taught me anything, the solution to a puzzle such as this is always present within the room itself. Now within our ragtag bunch of stereotypes I've noticed that the servant to the utterly charmless man, who shows him with such a tender care, could be our saviour. She's so high class that she must have intricate knowledge of dinning rooms and with that know exactly how to play the glasses on the table, when filled with various quantities of water to produce a good song, which we will call song 1, while the rest of you bang out a crazy beat, which we will call song 2. These two songs will create a musical environment or popscene.

A little known fact that only adds to the universal appeal of Caterpie's is that they are very, very sensitive to music and in the chemical world that is it's body it can navigate pulling me along like music is my radar, avoiding the planes and making those slight adjustments that we would find impossible, to avoid every plane and producing from it's beetle bum a long, strong thread that will lead the way down the middle of the road to freedom.

Becareful to not go on your own but follow the thread, soon we will be out of that final door and into the surrounding park. Life, or whatever they call it, may continue well to the end of the centuary for the ghosts among us, but we aren't so lucky and we must be very careful, but there is no other way for us my friends, we will escape to freedom!

#10 Strudel the Dancing Pastry

Strudel the Dancing Pastry

There's no I in TEAM

• Members

Posted 16 August 2009 - 12:55 PM

I've spent ages looking for themes and the only half decent one I could find got shat on so I don't really have the enthusiasm to keep looking if that's the response it garners.

Use the radio.

I think we'll probably lose, as I think Hentzau may be a ghost, though I can't find any theme in his posts. At least it'll end though.
Spins and turns, angles and curves. The shape of dreams, half remembered. Slip the surly bonds of earth and touch the face of perfection - a perfect face, perfect lace.
Jentastic: THAT'S RIGHT, I like double entry
<@Strudel> How big's your dongle Kramer?
only about 2 inches :(

#11 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:02 PM

It was pretty weak, you have to admit. You make the solutions that vague and spotting them becomes more a matter of luck than anything else.

#12 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

Ultimate Lu-Tze

• Admin

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:10 PM

Also, all the ghost's themes are linked. So unless the overall theme is 'verbs' then I can't see how it connects.

In past games the themes have been pretty blatant so it was hard to work them in.

#13 Leafcutter

Leafcutter

Flunky

• Members
  • Pip

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:04 PM

Infectious apathy... slight tinge of ectoplasm, but... use the radio...

#14 Kramer

Kramer

Chalk

• Members

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:11 PM

Philbert looked into Cybil's eyes. They had been on a long journey, seen things they never thought they'd see, spoken to each other in ways they never thought they dare, seen sides of each other that they'd always assumed would remained hidden.

"All I've ever wanted is somebody to love. Will you marry me?"

Cybil looked into his eyes.

"Yes, master! Oh yes!"

They embraced. Cybil scooped Philbert up into her arms and they kissed. They still looked an odd couple, but something about it was right, it worked, there was a kind of harmony -- a symbiosis -- about their unique relationship". Cybil was still holding Philbert in her arms.

"Cybil! Radio!"

"Yes master."

They both smiled.

#15 The House

The House

Eerie and Eerier

• The House
  • PipPip

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:42 PM

Cease.

#16 The House

The House

Eerie and Eerier

• The House
  • PipPip

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:46 PM

Philharmonia cranked the handle of the maguffin with stern determination. Around you, the paper planes whizz in increasingly agitated orbits, turning the scenery behind into mere blurs, smears of colour. Interpolated with the shapes you see sights and sounds that remind you of your time in the house: the whinny of a crazed horse, Kali and Buddha smiling at you, doppelgangars, water, the chant of an exorcism and talk of hats, thousands and thousands of rabbits, and then...

A sharp jolt as the carriage drives over a root brings you sharply to wakefulness. The driver turns to you, saying, "Sorry; not long to the manor now." You rub the sleep from your eyes and regard the wood as it once more flashes by. In the distance, you see the warm and friendly lights of Cadwaller Manor, as you remember it - but you could have sworn there was something else, something from the dream. You shrug your shoulders and resolve to put the night's hallucination behind you.

With 8 votes to 6....

Humans win.

#17 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:18 PM

Pfeh.

#18 Kramer

Kramer

Chalk

• Members

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:37 PM

Apologies for my inactivity towards the end there. I was away from Thursday till this evening for our engagement blessing (a Hindu ceremony) and a circuit fuse has blown at my parents' house -- which meant no internet.

I was a ghost for most of the game. My theme was Queen songs.

Thanks for hosting Josh.

#19 Schtroumpf

Schtroumpf

Swashbuckling Boat Mage

• Admin

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:43 AM

Isn't it 8 all?  No matter anyway, it would have been a rubbish win for the ghosts.

I'm really sorry folks, only posting once as a ghost is a really lame way to play the game.  I only had the odd 2 minutes here and there to check the forum from my phone over the weekend and that wasn't enough time to formulate posts.  The spare 5 minutes I had on Friday night was a hurried PM to Josh from my phone.

It's no consolation I know, but the same would have happened if I was human.

"The temperature inside this apple pie is over 1000 degrees. If I squeeze it, a jet of molten bramley apple will squirt out. Could go your way; could go mine. Either way, one of us is going down."

#20 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

Ultimate Lu-Tze

• Admin

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:52 AM

I was a ghost on the last day, but I didn't know that when it started as Josh accidentally sent the PM to my old account. However, I feel quite pleased that I managed to work every one of my theme (Blur singles) into my only remaining solution opportunity. :D

There's No Other Way

Okay girls and boys, I think we might've come to the end of this country house. We are out of time and there is no distance left to run for tomorrow is Sunday! Sunday means of course we should all be sitting down to enjoy some coffee & TV. Now if my years of being a video game character have taught me anything, the solution to a puzzle such as this is always present within the room itself. Now within our ragtag bunch of stereotypes I've noticed that the servant to the utterly charmless man, who shows him with such a tender care, could be our saviour. She's so high class that she must have intricate knowledge of dinning rooms and with that know exactly how to play the glasses on the table, when filled with various quantities of water to produce a good song, which we will call song 1, while the rest of you bang out a crazy beat, which we will call song 2. These two songs will create a musical environment or popscene.

A little known fact that only adds to the universal appeal of Caterpie's is that they are very, very sensitive to music and in the chemical world that is it's body it can navigate pulling me along like music is my radar, avoiding the planes and making those slight adjustments that we would find impossible, to avoid every plane and producing from it's beetle bum a long, strong thread that will lead the way down the middle of the road to freedom.

Becareful to not go on your own but follow the thread, soon we will be out of that final door and into the surrounding park. Life, or whatever they call it, may continue well to the end of the centuary for the ghosts among us, but we aren't so lucky and we must be very careful, but there is no other way for us my friends, we will escape to freedom!

#21 Jentastic!

Jentastic!

Cake!

• Members

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:56 AM

Reading through them all again, the only Queen song I can identify in Kramer's posts was the one from today ('Somebody to Love'). And I don't know the titles of any Blur songs (oh, except 'She's So High', but I had to think about it). Clearly I was never going to get these :D

#22 Josh

Josh

Evil bird

• Admin

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:00 AM

Yeah, the themes on this one were just too hard - I should have calibrated it much more finely. Sorry guys, this one was on me. I feel bad because clearly people like Hent were not having a good time, which wasn't the intent.

Smurf - no, I have 4 points for Hent and two each for Kramer, Smurf, Masked (ghosts), Jenny and Scuzz (human). There were two points going for the list of artists, which only Kramer got right, but he sent it in at 11pm, well after the deadline.
George Alagiaaaaaaargh: I lost my pecker in the siege :(

#23 Jentastic!

Jentastic!

Cake!

• Members

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:04 AM

I had a good time! I love the solutioning of HHG. I'd still love another game of this, although, yes, I guess themes would have to be thought about carefully.

I might try running one at some point in the future when I have no exams and have a chance to think about it. Possibly late September/October when I'm at college and have a little more time. Otherwise, Josh will never get a chance to play :o

#24 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

Ultimate Lu-Tze

• Admin

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:05 AM

Yeah, only needing to include one song title a day is quite hard to spot because there are so many that can easily be put into a sentence. Even using all of them in one go didn't require that much effort, they all found a place easily enough. (Although I'm under no pretence that people wouldn't have noticed if they were actually still playing.) I think themes should be more abstract, like colours or shapes or something.

The style Kramer used for his posts didn't help either though.

#25 Jentastic!

Jentastic!

Cake!

• Members

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:07 AM

I read through his posts, but even reading them through now, actively looking for Queen songs, I was only able to spot one, and on the last day. So I was really never going to get that theme. Although I daresay others may have done. I think the real problem with singles is that there are just so many to choose from, some more obscure than others, and it would be very difficult to link them up, unless they were all 'famous' singles, so to speak.

Themes are really hard to select, though, as Henzoo and I learned to our cost when we ran the first one.