Day Four: She's A Waterfall

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 The House

The House

Eerie and Eerier

• The House
  • PipPip

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:58 PM

After a brief scuffle, in which Huw Edwards and a fluctuating cat bickered about how best to deal with some mirror zombies, the party (now including one Welshman with a badly scratched face) gathered around the small ginger feline. "Right," said the pugnacious kitty, shooting a glance of venom at the cat-hating newscaster, "I want you all to do exactly as I say..."

Within a few seconds, forty empty frames had been hung along the walls, 20 on each side, facing each other. Each of the real members of the party and each of their clones had been assigned a spot, and most were nervously fidgeting at their stations. "Meow," said the cat irritatedly, until Sybil came and lifted him up to the level of the picture frames.

Nothing happened.

As one, everyone turned to look at the other cat, who had the grace to look sheepish. Caterpie Trainer pounced on it and held it aloft. With a strangled yawp, the uncertain cat started to look even more uncertain, as it its composition started to blur in a vague smudge of colour between the two frames. Caterpie Trainer pulled his hands away sharply, but the fake cat was tightly trapped in the vortex of its own making.

The other humans quickly discerned who the remaining fakes were by those who suddenly, at this point, started to look very nervous. They were quickly corralled into position, and before long there were ten smears of colour lining the hallway.

The half of the party at the north end of the corridor looked at the real cat, who was with them. Ribenboim shrugged. "What next?"

The question was soon answered for him.

The smear of cat was the first to turn into solid matter. Fired at massive speed from one frame to the next, the particles of the fake theoretical moggy quickly started to develop irregularities in their path. As soon as the first one struck one of the picture frames, the others pulled away from their straight and narrow firing line; and suddenly, the strains of shifting colour started to lacerate the surrounding structure, sending shards of wooden wall spinning out of the walls, floor and ceiling with lethal speed. The parties to the north and south yelped and put their hands over their heads, as one by one, their former fake doppelgangars started to tear chunks out of the surroundings.

Things were starting to look decidedly unpleasant when a chunk of fake Caterpie Trainer sliced through a waterpipe in the ceiling. With a thunderous crash and a cacophony of steamy spray, the chasm which was being torn between the north and south ends of the house found itself playing host to a new waterfall. While this was a considerable obstacle dividing the north and south parties, it did have the happy effect of catching, halting and sweeping away the energetic particles of the painting people.

The doors to the east and west have been destroyed utterly, although the upward stairs remain, as do the doors to the north and south. The chaos has knocked some items out of their storage place and into your reach; the north party has a ladder that is covered in boysenberry jam and a long rope that is made out of licorice; while the south team has a barrel that is full of molasses and a party pack of multi-coloured balloons.

What's next?

Tomorrow will end at 9.30. Again, I may be late, but if votes and night orders could be in by 9.30pm regardless then I'd be a happy camper.
It was an evil house from the beginning - a house that was born bad.

#2 Schtroumpf

Schtroumpf

Swashbuckling Boat Mage

• Admin

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:08 PM

Ok then, Lu and Jim didn't post a solution yesterday.  While I'm not convinced it was to do with my post the day before as I think those solutions were a bit too obvious for Josh to have given them (and after re-reading their bio's, fit in with them well enough), I'd still like to know why they didn't post a solution.

EDIT: And Strudel didn't post a solution on day two, yet turned up to vote.

"The temperature inside this apple pie is over 1000 degrees. If I squeeze it, a jet of molten bramley apple will squirt out. Could go your way; could go mine. Either way, one of us is going down."

#3 Inflammable Jim

Inflammable Jim

Overlooked by the Academy

• Admin

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:25 PM

Laziness, mainly _
You know...we lost the first battle of the Chesapeake because of a mysterious...treacherous...Ankylosaurus

#4 Schtroumpf

Schtroumpf

Swashbuckling Boat Mage

• Admin

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:27 PM

Man, this game takes like 2 minutes to post a solution.  _

"The temperature inside this apple pie is over 1000 degrees. If I squeeze it, a jet of molten bramley apple will squirt out. Could go your way; could go mine. Either way, one of us is going down."

#5 Josh

Josh

Evil bird

• Admin

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:29 PM

From a fresh hole in the ceiling, two items fall onto the north team's side: a fresh plate of canapes and the epochal spirit-link temporal redistributor object, which can be used as a solution in order to end the game.
George Alagiaaaaaaargh: I lost my pecker in the siege :(

#6 Strudel the Dancing Pastry

Strudel the Dancing Pastry

There's no I in TEAM

• Members

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:31 PM

My absence on day two was due to business and laziness combined. I thought I was going to have more time, but wasn't around at the end of the day much in the end.
Spins and turns, angles and curves. The shape of dreams, half remembered. Slip the surly bonds of earth and touch the face of perfection - a perfect face, perfect lace.
Jentastic: THAT'S RIGHT, I like double entry
<@Strudel> How big's your dongle Kramer?
only about 2 inches :(

#7 Schtroumpf

Schtroumpf

Swashbuckling Boat Mage

• Admin

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:33 PM

As for my solution.  I've presented the news long enough to know that eventually everything works out for the best.  I expect this water can't last forever so I say we wait it out.  Once it's stopped we can cross over to the other side using the ladder where we shall feast on boysenberry jam, licorice and molasses.  We can use the balloons to create a party atmosphere.  The moral boost from our party will set us in good stead to continue on through the house.

EDIT: The problem with humans not posting is it gives the ghosts a chance to not vote too and convert someone.  Personally I think it best that you post a shit solution rather than non at all.

#8 Josh

Josh

Evil bird

• Admin

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:40 PM

View PostSmurf, on Aug 11 2009, 01:33 PM, said:

EDIT: The problem with humans not posting is it gives the ghosts a chance to not vote too and convert someone.  Personally I think it best that you post a shit solution rather than non at all.
While I agree with this, I would mention that some degree of length is good - very short solutions can be a bit game-breaky and will really cause you problems if you get turned into a ghost later. I won't be counting words or anything but 100 words / 3 lines should be enough.

Smurf's solution above is a good yardstick.

George Alagiaaaaaaargh: I lost my pecker in the siege :(

#9 Strudel the Dancing Pastry

There's no I in TEAM

• Members

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:02 PM

In the hall of the Goblin King

"This house has some amazing properties, and I'm convinced that there will be more fantastic devices for us to discover as we continue. For instance, is that really a water fall, or are we actually all upside down, and the water is actually flowing up out of a burst pipe beyond our vision? This house is just the sort of place old MC would have loved to visit! I reckon if we all put our hands below our heads and push off with our feet, we'll land on the real floor and be able to walk straight through into the next room."

Paulo shook his fist at the room "You have no power over me!"
Spins and turns, angles and curves. The shape of dreams, half remembered. Slip the surly bonds of earth and touch the face of perfection - a perfect face, perfect lace.

#10 Lu-Tze

Lu-Tze

Amazing Dave

• Members

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:13 PM

Wasn't here yesterday because we left at 7:30 in the morning to go to Alton Towers and I didn't get back til 11:30.
Il Porcupino Nil Sodomy Est

#11 Schtroumpf

Schtroumpf

Swashbuckling Boat Mage

• Admin

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:21 PM

*Takes out big 'Case Closed' stamp*

#12 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

Ultimate Lu-Tze

• Admin

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:32 PM

I suggest a Practical Solution to get the two parties back together.

The North Party jams their sticky ladder in place over this handy statue, ties the rope to one end and throw it across the waterfalls to the South party, who tie it around their barrel, creating a line that can be crossed with a safety harness fashioned from the balloons.
"It's amazing how deep we had to drill to find our key difference,
but it seems that whilst I am Amazing you are Ultimate."- Lu

#13 Lu-Tze

Lu-Tze

Amazing Dave

• Members

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:55 PM

An extreme solution

The water has to be going somewhere, so I propose we rip it, kick it, and possibly split it by riding it out and seeing where we all end up. The South side should blow up the balloons and throw them across to the North side so they can lash them to the ladder with the licorice to act as buoyancy for a raft. Then they can pour out the barrel and join the North in riding the waterfall down and through the house.

Shouts of "Wicked Sick" and "Kicking Rad" are encouraged.

#14 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:56 PM

Oh bugger. I've just realised that I haven't posted in this day, and nor am I likely to get the chance to since I'm going out in a bit. Sorry!

#15 Scuzz

Scuzz

Least Geeky Talesian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:16 PM

Sticky Situation

If I might offer up a solution of my own, I would suggest that those on the South side cover themselves in molasses and stick the balloons to themselves in the manner of a crude flotation aids. Those on the North side can create a lasso out of the licorice to try and hook the other team and help pull them through the torrent of water and onto their side. This should then allow us to assemble as a group once more and make our way up the stairs to higher ground.

However should we choose to go with another proposal my current recommendation is for the extreme solution
"I've been disappointed with the boobs so far this season." - Masked Dave

#16 Kramer

Kramer

Chalk

• Members

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:44 PM

Philbert was in the midst of a massive tantrum.

"Not once, not twice, but THREE days in a row, no one has voted for any of my solutions -- despite the fact that they are the best solutions and that I am master of oratory. That's it Cybil. From now on I'm not talking to you or anyone else ... and I'm not listening either!" Tiredly Cybil tried to muster some enthusiasm to indulge him but she couldn't do it. She had been used to taking Philbert on outings many times but never had to endure him for longer than a few hours. She was caught between resenting the fact that a young man who was three years older than her was such a pathetic wretch and so dependent on her, resenting the other maids for getting away with not having to come on such outings and genuinely wondering about what to do next. These were mingled with thoughts about quitting her job. But what options were open to a young Victorian maid in Victorian times who had no skills outside of housekeeping? She sighed,

"Master Cadwaller, maybe if we just go along with the others for a while and in a few days they might listen to you. We're not part of the group and, well, wouldn't you feel safer if the others thought of you as one of them as well?"

Philbert was despondent. He turned his head away from her in disgust and muttered under his breath, "nothing but a peasant anyway". He buried his head in his arms.

Cybil bit her lip. "Well if you're not going to make an effort, sir... I will." Philbert didn't move a muscle, but as Cybil headed toward the rest of the group he peeked a glance from under his elbow.

As Cybil talked and joked with the others (and gave her support to what any maid would, the practical solution), Philbert looked on feeling abandoned and sorry for himself. He began to weep quietly.

#17 Lu-Tze

Lu-Tze

Amazing Dave

• Members

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:52 PM

I think if no-one is feeling EXTREME enough, then a Party is an acceptable alternative.

#18 Jentastic!

Jentastic!

Cake!

• Members

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:06 PM

Drinking Games

Has anybody else really taken a chance to examine this so-called 'waterfall'? Look closer! That's not water at all. See how it sparkles and radiates a certain warmth? This is the fountain of youth! Now I don't really want any myself, being already a youngster, but some of you are looking decidedly rough around the edges, and this house appears to be needing youth and vigour. I suggest you all drink up, so that we can inject some needed vitality into our party. This will of course enable us to come speedily to a solution to our predicament and the re-joining of our party. With the benefit of my own inexhaustible vitality, may I propose that once you have had your fill, we bottle the remaining water and keep it for sale on the black market?

As a back-up plan, I will consider the party, as that also appears to emanate from a brain of sufficiently juvenile proportions.
Existentialism? Don't even get me Sartred.

#19 Schtroumpf

Schtroumpf

Swashbuckling Boat Mage

• Admin

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:15 PM

I'm going to vote for In the hall of the Goblin King in the hope that David Bowie will turn up.

Kramer said:

That's it Cybil. From now on I'm not talking to you or anyone else

Me said:

The problem with humans not posting is it gives the ghosts a chance to not vote too and convert someone.

#20 Jentastic!

Jentastic!

Cake!

• Members

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:52 PM

Okay, I've spent the last half an hour or so procrastinating from work and therefore drawing up a nice little table and re-reading through people's posts (except Kramer's because that would have made it an hour - _ - so he'll get special consideration tomorrow).

I've spotted a potential theme in Scuzz's solutions!

Day two: solution was entitled 'Village People'
Day three: 'Barbie Girl'
Day four: 'stairs to higher ground' - aka, Stairway to Heaven?

I confess that I can't find anything similar in the first post, but that's three uncannily themed posts. And this also happened to me last time, and while I failed to spot every instance, I did get the theme(ish). Make of this what you will!

The review... CONTINUES.

Also, we need more people to post solutions and vote. Shame on you all!

#21 Schtroumpf

Schtroumpf

Swashbuckling Boat Mage

• Admin

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:57 PM

I've just given up looking through Kramer's and Leafcutter's solutions as I'll never be able to spot a theme in them.

#22 Jentastic!

Jentastic!

Cake!

• Members

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:58 PM

All the more reason to look through them! I just don't really have the time to look at Kramer right now. I've noted the lowdown on Leafcutter, and no theme has come to mind yet. But I'm going to look through my notes again tomorrow.

#23 Lu-Tze

Lu-Tze

Amazing Dave

• Members

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:12 PM

Higher Ground is a song by Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

EDIT: Although, I would imagine the theme would have to be slightly more vague than "song titles" as Village People is a band, not a song. He DID also mention Aqua in the other, but I can't see one in his one today, nor day one.

#24 Strudel the Dancing Pastry

There's no I in TEAM

• Members

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:19 PM

I'd hate to be seen as a party pooper.

OOC: Just back from work!

#25 Jentastic!

Jentastic!

Cake!

• Members

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:29 PM

View PostLu-Tze, on Aug 11 2009, 09:12 PM, said:

Higher Ground is a song by Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

EDIT: Although, I would imagine the theme would have to be slightly more vague than "song titles" as Village People is a band, not a song. He DID also mention Aqua in the other, but I can't see one in his one today, nor day one.
Sure, but it's a demonstrable theme and it's awfully coincidental if there's nothing else behind it. It doesn't have to be "song titles" or "bands". It could be something along the lines of "20th century music".

*shrugs*

Themes do tend to be quite broad, but anyway, this is the most obvious theme that I was able to find. Two days can easily be a coincidence, but three days where there's a potential theme is something to at least be wary about.