Day 8: Jazz't a minute

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#1 The House

The House

Eerie and Eerier

• The House
  • PipPip

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:56 PM

To war! Yikmo, wielding the diamond-studded candlestick, waded into the field of oats, swinging wildly at the tiny weevils. Jim Jones drew upon his mastery of the wrastlin' arts to pile-drive an entire family, and Colonel Raddish used the book to swat many an insectoid foe.

Lady Blanche, meanwhile, sidled around the room until she was behind Beckett, where upon she flicked some water at his head before smacking him with the bell. "What the hell, lady?" he cried, to which she simply smiled sweetly and said, "The power of Christ compels you to begone, foul spirit!" Beckett blinked twice before wondering off, confused.

In the field, the weevils were in full rout. Their homes were burning, their children lamenting. The day belongs to the humans, and it is a day that weevilkind will remember long hence.

---

Attached File  map.jpg   70.48K   0 downloads

The door, previously blocked by the bear, leads to a corridor, through which you can see doors leading to the main foyer and the drawing room. Additionally, barrel arches lead into dark rooms to the east and west, and light from a courtyard can be seen through some arches to the north. The problem that appears to face you is that the furniture in the house - tables, chairs, clocks, a three-pronged candlestick - appear to have become anthropomorphised, and are currently performing a jazzy musical number in the narrow pathway, preventing you from reaching any of the exits. How will you bypass these melodious decorations?
It was an evil house from the beginning - a house that was born bad.

#2 Clearasday

Clearasday

Bake 'em away toys.

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:20 PM

Well my companions, things are looking up for us. Two of us are most definitely clear, as everyone made a solution yesterday, so nobody could be turned.
Lady Blanche has had no common themes that I can spot, so perchance she is still among the human realm.
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head."

#3 Jentastic!

Jentastic!

Cake!

• Members

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:44 AM

A List

Days on which people posted solutions
M-Dave - 1,3,4,5,7
Henzoo - 1, 2,3,4,5,7
CAD - 1,3,5,7
Kramer - 1,2,4,5,7
Me. - 1,2,4,5,7
Jim - 3,4,5,7

Day 1 everybody posted solutions

Day 2 no solutions: DAVE, CAD (prevented)

Day 3 no solutions: ME (prevented)

Day 4 no solutions: CAD.

Day 5 everybody posted solutions

Day 6 no solutions by anybody (except me)

Day 7 everybody posted solutions

So I suggest that CAD potentially turned Henzoo on day 2 or 4: Henzoo can't have been turned mid-game, as he's posted a solution every day except day 6 (and we spotted themes before that).  Both CAD and Henzoo have since been exorcised. There are two other potential days on which a ghost could have turned someone that we haven't spotted (day two, four and six - less the one on which Henzoo was potentially turned).

I have four points, Henzoo has at least one (he hasn't exorcised and can only have attempted turning once as he's posted solutions every day except day 6). CAD, assuming he's still human, should have one (possibly none, but I think probably one).

On that basis, let's look at points. 14 points in play (two for each day, none for day six, four for day seven). I lost two for exorcising, making 12. Let's assume one turn, making 11. If there were two, then that's 10.

If it's 12: then the humans should have more than six points. I have four, Henzoo and CAD have one or two between them, and there just must be one more human, as there haven't been enough turning opportunities to turn everybody else - especially as 12 points means one less person turned. As everybody else has two points, that makes seven points as a lower estimate.

If it's 11: then the situation is much the same. One more turnee doesn't make a difference as we still should have enough points to beat the ghosts.

ON THIS BASIS, bearing in mind I've had ten minutes to type this in the morning and sleep-deprived... I suggest using the radio.

Oh, and a solution, for the record: I suggest doing some form of soothing dance. If we all tap our feets in time and whirl around just so then our combined power and force of will will surely un-anthropomortphise this furniture.

UBER QUICK BUT IMPORTANT EDIT: apparently ghosts don't need to spend points to turn. So assuming Henzoo is still human (which I find hard to doubt) and CAD is as well then we actually have more human points, and so are better off. Hooray! Radio!
Existentialism? Don't even get me Sartred.

#4 Kramer

Kramer

Chalk

• Members

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:32 AM

Well knock me down and steal muh teeth! Well, strip my gears an' call me shiftless! Well pickle ma gherkin and call me Shirley! I think this here lady has that there it! Ahm a fixin' ta use this here vote on that there thingymajig. Whooo!

Jim Jones does The Shimmy

#5 Inflammable Jim

Inflammable Jim

Overlooked by the Academy

• Admin

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:04 AM

thingy I guess
You know...we lost the first battle of the Chesapeake because of a mysterious...treacherous...Ankylosaurus

#6 Inflammable Jim

Inflammable Jim

• Admin

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:32 AM

Wait wait wait wait wait wait.

Nothing precludes Jen from having been turned on day six, yes? We could still lose.
You know...we lost the first battle of the Chesapeake because of a mysterious...treacherous...Ankylosaurus

#7 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:40 AM

Three turning opportunities (days 2, 4, and 6). Assume an estimate of two starting ghosts, since there were eight players; one is too few and three is too many. There are the following points in play.

Jen: 4
Me: 2
CAD: 2
Jim: 2
Kramer: 2

All three turnings would have been used on active players, meaning that even if I was a ghost yesterday, there are still two ghosts left on that list. In addition to that the ghosts get two points to start with (a point that Jen seems to have conveniently overlooked). In a worst-case scenario, we'll lose if we use the radio. Even if we assume a best case scenario in which the exorcisms were both successful we still lose if Jen was turned on day 6. Can you really, really risk it?

#8 Kramer

Kramer

Chalk

• Members

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:46 AM

[OOC: I should mention here that I did post a solution on Day 6 after the song and drama:

Aww hell, it's been five long years an' still no sign of the doc. I say we get the firey avatar to burn these critters and let's move on. I was just kinda gettin' a like that dawg-gone bear 'n' all.

Thought this might be helpful]

#9 Clearasday

Clearasday

Bake 'em away toys.

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:48 PM

I'm tempted by a Jim excorcism, I'd like to hear a solution from him.

Nobody voted on Day 6, so there was definitely another turning there, haven't you realised? If there were two ghosts originally, as Hentzau has said, we could still have three ghosts maximum, and Jen has not been exorcised.

I'm not happy with using the radio. I suggest we give todays points to Hentzau or I, and ensure that everyone votes so that neither of us are turned.
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head."

#10 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:04 PM

Anthropomorphic furniture, eh. This isn't bloody Beauty and the Beast, you know. There will be no Angela Landsbury song, no French candlestick, and very definitely no jazz. The trick, therefore, is to evict the furniture from our path using the thing they fear most in life. This, of course, is the Antiques Roadshow; after the experts have been through the mansion valuing everything in it the furniture will discover just how little they are actually worth.  Unable to deal with such crippling blows to their self esteem, they will commit suicide en masse.

#11 Inflammable Jim

Inflammable Jim

• Admin

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:17 PM

Oh, right.

As the old saying goes, if you can't beat the anthropomorphised furniture, join it. We got riddim and I'm sure we can turn a few jazzy turns, hips, slides, pops, locks, and I have no idea what half of this means. Still, it sounds like we'll have a wonderful time. Then we can grind them. With a lathe.

#12 Kramer

Kramer

Chalk

• Members

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:39 PM

View PostHentzau, on Apr 23 2009, 05:04 PM, said:

There will be no Angela Lansbury song

Silly Beckett, ya got the wrong film with that gal in it fella.

Here's what ya do. Ya round up a few kids from World War 2 and give them nettle soup and milk. Then, you get on ya bed and go and see Bruce Forsythe in the bookshop on Portobello Road in London, stopping off to pick up Mr. Brown

Posted Image

He'll be performin' tricks down in one of them ol' squares in London.

From the ol' bookkeeper ya pick up an ollllld book called "The Isle of Namboobu":

Posted Image

You need to go to that land and meet a cartoon Lion who is also the king there. He's a bit of a tyrannical sort but he'll take a shine to ol' Mr. Brown.

Ya need to get Brown to referee a soccer game between the True Blues and the Dirty Yellows:

Posted Image

Just make sure the King's side win!

Then, when that ol' king ain't lookin' ol' Brown he need to pull the gypsy switch, an steal the STAR OF ASTAROTH from around that Lion's neck, leavin' the referee's whistle in its place.

Then, you come back and face the animated objects.

You get Lansbury to hold up the Star of Astaroth and you all say together:

Treguna Mekoides Trecorum Satis Dee!

You say it over and over like a chant

Sometimes it might be worth doin' this in Spanish.

Soon enough thems ol' animated objects will go back to being regular old inanimate objects. Jim Jones done gone and told ya so!

#13 The House

The House

Eerie and Eerier

• The House
  • PipPip

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:00 PM

Cease.

#14 The House

The House

Eerie and Eerier

• The House
  • PipPip

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:19 PM

"OH GOD IT HURTS" cried the House.

"I know, he's going on a bit," said Beckett as Jim Jones blathered on, "But actually painful?"

"NO," moaned the House as ectoplasm ran down the walls. "IT IS HER... SHE IS USING THE DOOHICKEY"

Everyone turned, to find that Lady Stanyon grinding the thingamebob in a determined fashion. The sight of this caused Inflammable Jim to scream in agony. Ectoplasm seeped out of his every pore, and the dervish-dancing furniture collapsed to the ground, inanimate! The walls creaked and buckled, and the whirling maelstrom of the vortex in the dining room flared, sucking in everything in its reach before disgorging it into the library! Reality warped in upon itself until the exit point of the maelstrom was sucked into the entry point itself, and the House shrieked, as Lady Blanche's whisking forced it out of the walls and into the whirling cycle of death!

And then, the corpse of the dead dog was sucked into itself, and silence returned.

You find yourself in just a normal house.

---

HUMAN VICTORY

Thank you all for playing, that was a great deal of fun :D

#15 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:24 PM

Jim, that was your fault.

#16 Inflammable Jim

Inflammable Jim

• Admin

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:28 PM

Yup

#17 Jentastic!

Jentastic!

Cake!

• Members

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:31 PM

Hooray! I do like exorcising. It is fun.

All three turnings would have been used on active players, meaning that even if I was a ghost yesterday, there are still two ghosts left on that list. In addition to that the ghosts get two points to start with (a point that Jen seems to have conveniently overlooked). In a worst-case scenario, we'll lose if we use the radio. Even if we assume a best case scenario in which the exorcisms were both successful we still lose if Jen was turned on day 6. Can you really, really risk it?
If you vote to exorcise, that person is exorcised. I was fairly confident that you and CAD had been ghosts. Also, as for me being turned on day 6, I exorcised you yesterday, which you conveniently ignored. You could make an argument for me being back-stabby, which is terribly like me, but you didn't say it!

And eh, I didn't purposefully ignore anything, I just had hardly any time to formulate that argument, but wanted to throw it out there because it was a goooolden opportunity. Missed the ghosts get two points to start rule. Man, ghosts have everything. The gist of this is: I suck. But we won! Woo!

That was an AWESOME game, thanks to Josh and all the other players. It was epic fun, and I want to play again, so that... uh, I can have more fun, but also get to grips with the rules _
Existentialism? Don't even get me Sartred.

#18 Kramer

Kramer

Chalk

• Members

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:32 PM

YAY \o/

All y'all humans come give ol' Jim Jones a hug!

Posted Image

[thanks to Josh and everyone else for that, good fun all round :)]

EDIT: Also, what was your theme then Hentzoo? Was it Bible or Fictional Characters? _

#19 Inflammable Jim

Inflammable Jim

• Admin

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:40 PM

Enjoyed it, but I've still no real idea how the game works.

#20 Hentzau

Hentzau

Bringer of Nuclear Fire

• Members

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:42 PM

View PostJentastic!, on Apr 23 2009, 06:31 PM, said:

If you vote to exorcise, that person is exorcised. I was fairly confident that you and CAD had been ghosts. Also, as for me being turned on day 6, I exorcised you yesterday, which you conveniently ignored. You could make an argument for me being back-stabby, which is terribly like me, but you didn't say it!

And eh, I didn't purposefully ignore anything, I just had hardly any time to formulate that argument, but wanted to throw it out there because it was a goooolden opportunity. Missed the ghosts get two points to start rule. Man, ghosts have everything. The gist of this is: I suck. But we won! Woo!

That was an AWESOME game, thanks to Josh and all the other players. It was epic fun, and I want to play again, so that... uh, I can have more fun, but also get to grips with the rules _
No that post was me attempting to make up for Jim's lack of effort by carrying on with the plan even though I was no longer a ghost. Nothing in it is true. Voting would have been a step too far, though.

#21 Clearasday

Clearasday

Bake 'em away toys.

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:53 PM

What an epic game, was fun being on both sides!

the only thing that ensured that we humans won was the small amount of players, alas to those who stayed silent.

#22 Kramer

Kramer

Chalk

• Members

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:57 PM

Does Hentzau have me on ignore? Certainly feels like it. I'm dying to know what his actual theme was.

#23 Josh

Josh

Evil bird

• Admin

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:59 PM

Themes were as follows:

Original ghosts:
CAD - Shakespeare plays
Oppy - The occupations of the protagonists of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales

Turned Day 4:
Hent - Titles of notable Grimm Fairy Tales

Turned Day 6:
Jim - Enid Blyton-ear Famous Five book subtitles.
George Alagiaaaaaaargh: I lost my pecker in the siege :(

#24 Clearasday

Clearasday

Bake 'em away toys.

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:00 PM

I was alone on Day 1 and 2 as the ghost, and then ectoplasmed Hentzau on day 3.
Day 4 I was away
Day 6 saw me die, and Hentzau had to ectoplasm either Jim or Kramer in my opinion.

#25 Masked Dave

Masked Dave

Ultimate Lu-Tze

• Admin

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:34 PM

Great game :D

Sorry about my crap solutions.

Also, those themes are HARD.
"It's amazing how deep we had to drill to find our key difference,
but it seems that whilst I am Amazing you are Ultimate."- Lu